9.8 Upgrade Self Service Down

npynenberg
Contributor

Did an upgrade to 9.8 this morning, seemed to go smoothly.

Got a ticket about Self Service throwing up an error. I checked, and sure enough Self Service is erring out on every computer I tried.
Checked the Console log on the client:

9/18/15 9:09:19.597 AM Self Service[276]: [ERROR] -[JAMFBinaryCommunication notifyThatDaemonIsAbsent] (line:299) --> The daemon is not present

Any ideas? I finally gave up and tried restarting the JSS to no avail. Tried numerous policies in SS, nothing worked.

65 REPLIES 65

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

It might be worth trying @rtrouton's CasperCheck as an automated solution to the issue:
https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2014/04/23/caspercheck-an-auto-repair-process-for-casper-agents/

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you've already upgraded to 9.8 and don't already have @rtrouton's CasperCheck in place then there really isn't a way to get it deployed to the machines that are experiencing the problem. Short of using ARD, SSH or physically touching the affected computers.

bollman
Contributor II

Correct, and that's where the real hurt is.

Machines actually responds to Casper Admin, so, right now we are pushing a recon with an EA that checks for that file.
That only works if the computers are reachable and all the laptops spread around the world will not be easy to assess. I'm guessing, next week we'll send an email to people who we have no update from and ask them to run something from Self Service. If that fails, we know they need the fix.

Still, since most of our users aren't admins, that means we have to find a way to apply the fix...

powellbc
Contributor II

Would it be be possible to use Casper Remote to send the commands line by line (Advanced tab)? It would be arduous but would not require a download AFAIK.

bollman
Contributor II

Yes, we are planning on doing that, but there is no way to nicely ask the users to restart, other than using phone or email. It's not possible to use the jamf binary to restart nicely, it doesn't work in the state things are, the screen only flickers.

powellbc
Contributor II

I would do just sudo jamf manage for the second command and send a message to affected users to restart at their convenience, if feasible.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

You could run a script command to send up a jamfHelper dialog explaining they must restart. Or cocoaDialog if you have that installed. Yes, its more commands you need to run, but it might be better/faster than getting on the phone with every user.

All I can is I'm very glad we decided to wait on upgrading our JSS to 9.8. We didn't see the need since it was mostly to support iOS 9, and we don't manage iOS devices with Casper here. Patiently waiting for 9.81 to see if this is resolved. Honestly, I know bugs happen, but a bug like this is very troubling and not acceptable in my opinion.

bollman
Contributor II

There are a million ways to tell the user to restart, the number one problem is to get to the computers! As long as they are here at the uni, no problem, but so far we have made contact with 284 out of 906 computers :(
254 with working recurring and 30 without.

kstrick
Contributor III

Guys,
remember that if you are deploying @rtrouton 's solution (i have been using it for a while),
that you make sure your copy is updated to look for the jamf binary in the right locations going forward...

rtrouton
Release Candidate Programs Tester

To follow up on @kstrick , I've got a post discussing the updated script available here:

https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2015/07/29/updated-caspercheck-now-available/

Latest rev of CasperCheck is available from here:

https://github.com/rtrouton/CasperCheck

eagleone
New Contributor

Our self service policies are failing to run unless done as an admin. 9.8 go figure.

Josh_Smith
Contributor III

@Ghanbarzadeh Can you confirm if this issue is still present in 9.81? I didn't see it mentioned in the Release Notes.

rcorbin
Contributor II

@Josh.Smith I have another thread started for reports about 9.81. So far they are positive and are saying the Self Service issue is resolved.

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=17173

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

I received confirmation from Jamf that this issue is fixed 9.81, even though it was not in the release notes. However, it is not a retroactive fix - meaning machines that were broken with 9.8 will stay broken.

jgwatson
Contributor

I just upgraded to 9.81 and I am seeing the same thing :(

But I did upgrade from 9.80.

rcorbin
Contributor II

@jgwatson is that for machines that were already broken with 9.8 ? As @cbrewer says machines that were broken with 9.8 will stay broken.

ant89
Contributor

hmm.... Self service will not install my policies (dmg) on machines that have been freshly imaged with 10.11.

Previously enrolled machines that upgraded from 10.10.x -> 10.11 work fine.

.pkg packages install fine on freshly imaged 10.11 machines.
.dmg packages are giving problems on freshly imaged 10.11 machines. Error: An error occurred attempting to mount the package xxxxx.dmg

We are running 9.81

apredmore
New Contributor II

Awesome! This bug made us lose contact with 3 stolen machines.

rcorbin
Contributor II

@apredmore Did that happen because of 9.8 ? or 9.81 ?

kwsenger
Contributor

We are also trying to fix our fleet with devices that are not checking in with our JSS.

When trying to ARD > Send Unix Command > jamf manage Task Status = "jamf: command: not found"

We also get this status when trying to run this in Apple Script:
do shell script "sudo jamf manage"
"jamf: command: not found"

Can we not jamf manage devices when using SSH?

lkrasno
Contributor II

@kwsenger try using the new full path to the jamf binary already ?

powellbc
Contributor II

@kwsenger, Try what @lkrasno is suggesting. Specify the full path to the binary (which changed in 9.8.x): /usr/local/bin/jamf.

apredmore
New Contributor II

@rcorbin We lost most of our OSX machines when we upgraded to 9.80

kwsenger
Contributor

Answer to my own question: Send Unix Command: /usr/local/jamf/bin/jamf manage

andysemak
Contributor

I think my clients are re-enrolling themselves :(

Most of them seem to be stuck in a loop The management framework will be enforced once policies are done

They show this error when the check for policies triggered by enrollment takes place:

* - [NSPlaceholderString initWithString:]: nil argument

Then, they get stuck in the above loop. Can anyone offer any advice?

gilad
New Contributor

Just had this issue with one of my users.
But it was not caused by upgrading to 9.8, it was caused because the user disabled the jamf daemon service.
After I ran the command sudo launchcth load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.jamfsoftware.jamf.daemon.plist issue was resolved