AD Binding failed on Imaging

ggigliotti
New Contributor II

I'm currently having some problems with my laptops binding during imaging. I have my computers set up to netboot to a server and run casper imaging. I have Directory Binding set up and have it selected in the configuration that i'm trying to push. After the imaging I checked the jamf.log file and it gives me this error.

An error occurred binding to Active Directory: dsconfigad: Container does not exist.

It attempts and fails with that error 5 times before giving up and moving on. Everything else seems to be installing just fine.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

I suspect the issue is exactly as it states. What's the Computer OU path?

It should look something like this:
CN=computers,DC=company,DC=com

If you want, you could try to troubleshoot this by trying to bind via the command line using dsconfigad. Do a man dsconfigad for usage/help.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

I suspect the issue is exactly as it states. What's the Computer OU path?

It should look something like this:
CN=computers,DC=company,DC=com

If you want, you could try to troubleshoot this by trying to bind via the command line using dsconfigad. Do a man dsconfigad for usage/help.

ggigliotti
New Contributor II

For some reason I had OU instead of CN. Can't believe I didn't notice that until someone spelled it out for me haha. Well I'm going to reload it now and see if that fixes it. Thanks!

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

Well every AD path is different. Always helps to know what the structure is which I think you should be able to see if you have some sort of access to Active Directory Computers and Users. Also just in case, always helps to know what the object-naming abbreviations stand for:
DC: Domain Controller
OU: Organizational Unit
CN: Container

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc977992.aspx

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

As @bpavlov stated, CN is not necessarily correct over OU, or vice versa, It all depends on how your AD environment is set up. For example, ours only uses OUs and DCs, no CNs anywhere in our binding container path.