AD Binding

adeetz
New Contributor

I am very new to this and the Apple world. I am an intern given the task to figure out how to manage our Mac environment with the tools we have from Jamf.

I am testing things using a pre-configured JSS that was set up by someone in the past but never used.

My question is, if we are using Centrify binding would we need a directory binding setting in a Configuration Profile?

At the moment my test machine is bound to AD through Centrify which is specified in the Computer Management settings in JSS. But they also had a directory binding setting configured in a Configuration Profile.

The following error shows up on the test machines Management tab:

The 'Directory Binding Account' payload could not be installed. Attempts to bind to the server 'dc.masonshoe.lcl' returned an unspecified problem.

Thanks in advance for any help you can lend a newbie ;)

3 REPLIES 3

dpertschi
Valued Contributor

Wow, I know seasoned consultants that can't even figure out how to manage Macs; ahh well, never mind that.

So if you have a Centrify binding configured in Computer Management > Directory Bindings, confirm all those settings and go with that alone.

I doubt the configuration profile will be of any use in your case with Centrify, maybe it was a test, but it won't offer you some of the options you get with the other method.

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

Yep. One or the other, not both.

If you image or configure a new machine without the Centrify binding, but with the config profile, does it work? Or vice versa? My guess is yes.

adeetz
New Contributor

Thanks guys, I thought it was counter-productive but again I'm just an intern LOL!