Add URL's to Self Service

technicholas
Contributor

I would like to add URL's to self service to be on the left hand corner of the page when a user opens self service is there any way I can do this on Casper?

Thanks!!
Nicholas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

technicholas
Contributor

Never mind figured it out thanks!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

technicholas
Contributor

Never mind figured it out thanks!

frozenarse
Contributor II

For anyone stumbling on this:

Settings ---> Computer Management Framework Settings ----> Self-Service -----> Plug-ins

paul_hunt
New Contributor

Thanks! I did need that...

henry
New Contributor

Adding a Self Service Plug-in
1. Log in to the JSS with a web browser.
2. In the top-right corner of the page, click Settings  .
3. Click Computer Management.
On a smartphone or iPod touch, this option is in the pop-up menu.
4. In the "Computer Management - Management Framework" section, click Self Service Plug-ins  .
5. ClickNew  .
6. Enter a display name and description, and choose a priority for the plug-in.
7. Choose "Self Service Plug-in Bundle" or "URL Plug-in" from the Plug-in Type pop-up menu.
8. Configure the plug-in using the options on the pane.
9. Click Save.
The plug-in is available in Self Service the next time computers check in with the JSS.

McAwesome
Valued Contributor

You can also use a policy to do this. You'll have to do this through the "Files and Processes"->"Execute Command" section. Just use

open https://www.google.com

and that will open Google.com in the user's default web browser.

Less ideal than using the Self Service plugins, but depending on your setup you may not actually have access to add those into Self Service. This route accomplishes the same thing without needing those permissions.

chris_kemp
Contributor III

Actually, we just implemented something like this to clean up the number of links we had in the Self Service sidebar. We created a category and grouped them underneath, using:

open -a /Applications/Safari.app https://insert-relevant-URL-here

Besides cleaning up the sidebar, this ensures that the links are launched in Safari rather than whatever the default browser may be set to. Useful if you have sites that require the use of a particular browser (which is necessary, in our case).

ctarbox
Contributor II

@chris.kemp Can this be done for the iOS Mobile Device Self Service?

STANDINGROBOT
New Contributor

Just to update this as I found it during a google search for adding URL's to Self-Service. 

SETTINGS --> SELF SERVICE --> BOOKMARKS

STANDINGROBOT_2-1702518042566.png