Added a package in JSS, not showing up in Self Service

tech51
New Contributor

I have created a software installer .pkg with Composer and added it to

Computer Management - > Packages

What step have I missed for end users to see this in Self-Service App on successfully managed MacBook Airs?

JSS: 9.96

4 REPLIES 4

thoule
Valued Contributor II

You missed your JumpStart or JAMF 101 class.

The package needs to be deployed with a policy. Create a policy, add your package to it, scope it to the appropriate users, and Enable Self Service. Sorry there's too much to tell you exactly how to do this in a simple web response.

https://www.jamfsoftware.com/resources/webinar/casper-suite-101-the-basics/

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

You have to create a policy for anything to show up in Self Service for end users. In your JSS, you go to Policies. then click New, to start creating a policy. Give it a name, set your trigger and frequency options all on the General tab. Then click on the Packages tab, click Configure and add your package to it from the list.
Next, set the computer target scope under the Scope tab, which will determine the machines you intend to target with the Self Service policy. This is important since even if everything else is set up correctly, no-one will see it.
Next, click on the Self Service tab and check the Make the policy available in Self Service box and configure your options there, like an icon, which categories it will appear in and any type of description for the user you want to have ride along with it.
Once you have everything set as you like, save it and check a machine in scope to see if the policy is showing up.

If all of this is unfamiliar to you, I suggest diving into the Casper Suite documentation. See the QuickStart guide as it will give you some simple step by step instructions that should get you started.

tech51
New Contributor
Sorry there's too much to tell you exactly how to do this in a simple web response.

@thoule Appraently there is. See @mm2270 's answer.

Thanks @mm2270 . I was able to add the package ..and scoped it successfully to a test machine with your steps.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

@tech51 Glad that helped, but FWIW, I agree with @thoule that you may want to make sure you take the requisite training courses (JumpStart, Casper Suite Essentials, etc) or at least dive fully into the documentation to get a better handle on the processes. Creating policies and setting them up for Self Service should be covered in almost any of JAMF's training courses and the JumpStart.