Adding MAC to DEP via jamf

bobbyjohn
New Contributor II

Is it possible to do this with Apple business Manager? If so how? I already have a new MDM server in ABP.

6 REPLIES 6

bcbackes
Contributor III

I'm not an expert by any means, however, I believe you would use ABM to automatically assign the devices to your MDM server. Then, in Jamf Pro (or whatever you are using) you need to setup "Device Enrollment Program" listed in All Settings>Global Management. Once that is setup, you can create PreStage enrollments for your devices.

bobbyjohn
New Contributor II

Yes I've done that part. However the initial assigning of devices should be possible with ABM.

bcbackes
Contributor III

@bobbyjohn So you have this setup in ABM - see screenshot showing my Macs assigned to my MDM? If so, that is all that is needed. I'm not aware of any other workflow that is possible through MDM, however, as I said before I'm no expert. Everything else is handled through your MDM.

I believe the workflow is the device is turned on, connects to internet, contacts Apple, finds it's in ABM and assigned to your specific MDM, then, it communicates to the MDM and gets it's charging orders.

Is there a certain workflow you are trying to accomplish through ABM? I might not be understanding your question completely. 822923f387ad4a7cb3a1bd2e3abf1a39

bobbyjohn
New Contributor II

I was trying to get the Macs added to DEP without having to add them ABM. A different team handles ABM and I don't want to go through them to do this everytime.

nvandam
Contributor II

@bobbyjohn DEP is ABM (or ASM if you’re a school)
You can’t add a device to DEP without adding it to ABM. And Macs must be added by the reseller (Apple it a certified reseller). iOS and iPadOS can be added to ABM through Apple Configurator 2.

Tribruin
Valued Contributor II

@bobbyjohn , when you say "a different team handles ABM" what are they doing? As @nvandam stated, Macs are added to DEP/ABM by your reseller. But, it is up to whoever manages your ABM account to assign the Macs to right MDM Server. But, you can have a default MDM server for each device type (Mac/iPad/iPhone/etc). Unless you have multiple MDMs, you could ask your ABM Administrator to setup the default MDM server to your Jamf server.