adobe acrobat pro 2020 deployment ?

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

is anyone making a deployment package for adobe acrobat pro 2020?

is so what are you using to create it? the adobe customization wizard?

23 REPLIES 23

andrew_nicholas
Valued Contributor

If you're deploying a licensed, non-Creative Cloud version you'll need to look at the adobe_prtk tool. It takes some trial and error to get it to work but it will provide the file to be used. You'd then deploy the tool and run the serialize flag against the file previously generated.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

In the past with Adobe acrobat xi pro perpetual license I used the adobe customization wizard to create a package all set to go with serial number.
Package was created and i deploy it through policy such as self service and it has worked great.
Hopefully i can still use that

andrew_nicholas
Valued Contributor

No I believe that has been deprecated. For the DC/2020 deployments you need to use that command line tool to generate the serialize file you'd like to deploy. You then deploy a package with that generated file and the tool with a post install to run the serialize command. This package itself can be done before or after the base Adobe installer is run.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@andrew.nicholas I want to create a single package that will install and license the 2020 adobe acrobat pro. Will this tool help me with that?

andrew_nicholas
Valued Contributor

You could repackage all of it into one with a post or pre script that licenses it, but I would encourage building the licensing package independent of the Adobe 2020 installer.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@andrew.nicholas that link is to reserialize Acrobat with a different serial number using the APTEE tool (Adobe Provisioning Toolkit Enterprise Edition):

andrew_nicholas
Valued Contributor

adobe_prtk is the name of the tool within the dmg they hosted for download on that page and is what is referenced in their examples. You can place it in /usr/local/bin or an alternate directory and reference it to generate the serialized file, prov.xml, using the --generate flag. You would then need to use that tool and the generated prov.xml in whatever deployment method you desire to serialize the application on the endpoint.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@andrew.nicholas I'll give it a shot once i get my license information

I wish Adobe made the customization wizard for 2020 like they did for XI pro. So simple with that wizard

andrew_nicholas
Valued Contributor

This is another resource that basically lists out the same same steps albeit more in depth, and this references a Wizard that could be used to make a custom installer with some of the prompt suppression but the first link says that the APTEE can do all of that as well.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@andrew.nicholas thanks i'll check out those resources.

What about Composer? will that be able to capture the installation and the licensing from doing a 'New & Modified Snapshot'?

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

has anyone created an installer with adobe_prtk that installs and licenses Adobe Acrobat Pro 2020 perpetual license?

jporter712
New Contributor

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@jporter712 did you try adding a comment? it's blank.

i'm looking to create a pkg that will install and license Adobe Acrobat Pro 2020 perpetual license. These Adobe tools, based on what i'm reading looks to be for creative suite pkg creation.

I wish Adobe made the cusomization wizard for 2020 like they did for version 11.x.

https://wwwimages2.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/devnet/creativesuite/pdfs/AdobeApplicationManagerEnterpriseEditionDeploymentGuide_v_3_1.pdf

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

going to try this AAPTEE tool like @andrew.nicholas mentioned

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/how-to-Re-Serialize-Acrobat-using-the-APTEE-tool.html

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

was on a chat with Adobe and they told me.

Yes, we are sure, there is no deployment tool for serial number based acrobat 2020

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@andrew.nicholas I don't see how this can do what I'm looking for (create a pkg that installs/licenses Acrobat Pro 2020). I chatted with Adobe earlier and they said there is no deployment tool for serial number based acrobat 2020. Thin 2020 installer is a .dmg (acrobat_2020_web_WWMUI.dmg).

The Adobe Provisioning Toolkit Enterprise Edition is a command-line tool for supported platforms that helps you track and manage serialization of Adobe® products that you have deployed using the Adobe Application Manager Enterprise Edition. The toolkit is downloaded as part of the Creative Cloud Packager installation.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@andrew.nicholas so i generated the prov.xml file using the adobe_prtk --tool=VolumeSerialize --generate --serial=<serialnum> [--leid=<LEID>] [--regsuppress=ss] [--eulasuppress]

so in order to now use the prov.xml on a bunch of mac, those macs will also need the adobe_prtk on them? I'm thinking of putting adobe_prtk in /private/temp along with the prov.xml and run the command below.

Administrators can use the following command to serialize and activate the deployed packages on client machines.
adobe_prtk --tool=VolumeSerialize [--provfile=<Absolute path to prov.xml>] [--stream]

fredmin
New Contributor III

@tcandela I working on the same thing and going down a path similar to yours. However, I'm doing this in 2 policies: the first deploys and installs the application and sets off a custom trigger, launching the second policy that'll deploy adobe_prtk /private/temp and then run the command.

fredmin
New Contributor III

@tcandela Just a quick update. I was able to do everything with one policy. I deploy the Acrobat Installer.pkg along with a homemade pkg that delivers the adobe_prtk and the prov.xml file to /private/tmp. I then run the serialize and activate command via bash script through JAMF.
The only hiccup I've got is the EULA popping up when installed the first time on a device, even though I did include the [ --eulasuppress] switch. If I uninstall/reinstall it doesn't come up.
Hope this helps.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@fredmin I was in a chat with Adobe and they said with Mac the --leid argument is not used. Did you use --leid= when you created your prov.xml?

adobe_prtk --tool=VolumeSerialize --generate --serial=<serialnum> [--leid=<LEID>] [--regsuppress=ss] [--eulasuppress]

i created a second pkg using Composer for placing the adobe_prtk and prov.xml in /private/tmp. Then a postinstall script with the command

!/bin/sh

cd /private/tmp/AdobeEnterpriseToolkitEnterpriseEditionProvXML
./adobe_prtk --tool=VolumeSerialize
exit $?

So I got one policy with 2 pkgs. Pkg 1 installs Adobe Acrobat Pro 2020 (runs first) and then PKG 2 installs the adobe_prtk/prov.xml

first test run i believe it also did not suppress the EULA but did suppress the SIGN ON

i believe the SIGN ON is the [--regsuppress=ss] ???

I created the Adobe Acrobat Pro 2020 pkg with a Composer snapshot. So running that pkg alone in a policy does not ask the user to enter in a license key, they just get prompted with 2 popups, 1 to accept EULA and 1 for SIGN ON

fredmin
New Contributor III

@tcandela I used the exact adobe_prtk string that you referenced above when I created my prov.xml file. I had read this thread at length, followed the link to the Adobe tech page and went forward from there.

I find it interesting that we have come at this from different, yet similar, directions and we are seeing the same results on deployment. Ideally, I would like to deploy the app w/o the end user seeing anything.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@fredmin here is what adobe sent me during our chat. Did you add the provfile= to the second command? I didn't because directions say if its in the same directory as the tool you don't have to.

Hello,

Step 1: Generating prov.xml file: (run this command on the admin computer with internet access)

Extract adobe_prtk to the desktop, open terminal and type the following commands :
cd ~/Desktop
sudo <drag the adobe_prtk file into terminal> --tool=VolumeSerialize --generate --serial=aaaa-dddd-hhhh-qqqq-zzzz-xxxx--regsuppress=ss –eulasuppress
If the return code is 0, then prov.xml will be generated in the same folder

Step 2: Volume serializing the package: (run this command on the offline machine)

sudo <drag the adobe_prtk file into terminal> --tool=VolumeSerialize --provfile=<drag the prov.xml file into terminal>
If the return code is 0, activation was successful

Let me know incase you need further assistance.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@fredmin did you get yours working?

i ran everything manually from the terminal. Adobe Acrobat Pro 2020 is NOT installed on the computer i'm testing on. I am running the command first.

I tested from another computer by dragging the adobe provisioning toolkit folder (with the adobe_prtk and prov.xml in it) to the /private/tmp location (this is the location it gets placed and then post install script runs the command). I opened up terminal and entered /private/tmp/Adobe Provisioning Toolkit Enterprise Edition/adobe_prtk --tool=VolumeSerialize --provfile=/private/tmp/Adobe Provisioning Toolkit Enterprise Edition/prov.xml

and i get Return Code = 20

here are a couple return code explanations

19 The provXML is missing
20 Loading of permanent activation grace failed (due to malformed xml, corrupt or missing
Enigma data, or some other error)