Adobe Creative Cloud Package - Only uploads part of package

acjuelich
New Contributor

Hello Everyone,

I have a Creative Cloud Package that I created and tested and it comes out around 7.2GB. Whenever I go to upload it to the DP via Casper Admin it only uploads about 2GB and that's it. I re-created the Package, deleted and tried resending, but the same thing.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ooshnoo
Valued Contributor

you may want to forgo the .pkg file and wrap it in a DMG. Works flawlessly for us on our SMB shares.

Deploying PKGs Created with AAMEE or Creative Cloud Packager

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@acjuelich if you are using an SMB file share, it may be related to that. We use AFP/HTTP and don't run into this issue.

ooshnoo
Valued Contributor

you may want to forgo the .pkg file and wrap it in a DMG. Works flawlessly for us on our SMB shares.

Deploying PKGs Created with AAMEE or Creative Cloud Packager

cshepp11
New Contributor III

If you upload the .pkg created from CCP it should automatically zip the file. Is it doing that? Is your SMB DP still mounted after fail? Do you have enough room on your DP?

acjuelich
New Contributor

Are you saying to pull it into Casper Composer to turn it into a DMG?

When I try uploading it via Casper Admin it uploads as 'unknown' with no hash value and only about 2GB in size.

How would I get away from a SMB share?

georgecm12
Contributor III

Have you uploaded anything else that exceeds 2 GB in size to your JSS? I don't think it's anything specific to your Adobe upload; I think it's a configuration with your server.

What type of format is the drive where your repository is hosted?

ooshnoo
Valued Contributor

Agreed.. No issue with your package. The issue is with the drive format on the server you're hosting it on.

acjuelich
New Contributor

I can't transfer it anywhere without it failing. What the heck am I supposed to do, then? Converting it to a DMG with Composer does not make a difference either. All I can think of to do is to install it on a machine and capture that image which I don't want to do.

So that doesn't work, the Bind policies stopped working so now I have to use a Profile and muck with that, among other things. Really disappointed in this product especially with how crazy expensive it is.

Maybe I'll do everything with the free FileWave Lightning tool. I'm glad we spend so much money on this....

Josh_Smith
Contributor III

Regarding putting the Adobe CCP pkg in a DMG: See the KB article that @ooshnoo provided the link to, this works. This does not involve Composer.

Regarding File Size: As the others noted, check the file system used on the drive your distribution point is on. A FAT16 drive has a maximum 2 GB file size....

AD Binding during imaging has been solid for me once I got it working...if you are having specific issues post all the details and the people here can generally help fix it quickly.

ooshnoo
Valued Contributor

@acjuelich

You're being completely illogical. It makes no sense to be disappointed in your JSS server when that's not even the problem.

1. As already stated...the drive formats on your SMB shares are most likely incorrect. If formatted as FAT they cannot handle files greater than 2GB. Have you yet verified the format have the shares? I suggest you be disappointed with whoever setup that SMB share.

2. You didn't even bother to read the article I linked to regarding wrapping the Adobe packges in a DMG. While in hindsight that won't fix the issue due to the server drive format, if you had read it you'd know that Composer is not even involved.

3. If you need help with the AD binding process, please ask and provide specific details.

We know you're frustrated, but we're all here to help. So help us help you by calming down, checking on the items we mentioned and provide more pertinent info.

acjuelich
New Contributor

The DP is on a 2012R2 Server so the file format is NTFS, utilizing a SMB share.

acjuelich
New Contributor

So if the Package requires a Mac OS X Journaled drive......how am I ever supposed to get it to the DP and deployed? Do I now have to spin up another DP on a Mac?

acjuelich
New Contributor

Sorry, everyone.

A very stressful week and everything is piling up and the workflows I had established weren't working like they used to for me. I admit my irrationality and I apologize.

I completely skipped over ooshnoo's article and it looks like that'll do the trick for me.

Thanks, everyone, for the input and responses. I really do appreciate it.

jmercier
Contributor II

@mpermann

we also use AFP as DP... uploaded our pkg into jss... but trying to deploy with self service the pkg directly and most of the times it does not install and self service running for ever on installing... but never installs the software...

the link and solution with the script to install is really a pain for us... we need the adobe CC packages to be installed straight like any package... is this possible ?

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@jmercier we've not used Self Service to deploy Creative Cloud. The last time we deployed it, we deployed it at imaging time. The version was CC 2014 with a package size of about 15 GB and it added quite a bit of time to the imaging process. I'll create a policy to deploy it from Self Service to see if I have success with that or not and will report back. We are using JSS 9.73 currently. What version are you using? Are you deploying to users over ethernet or WiFi and would they have hard drives or SSDs?

jmercier
Contributor II

hi... we have 9.73 also... Adobe CC 2015 versions...

Over Ethernet gig, SSD

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@jmercier with any large package like this, anything over 500 mb really, I always cache to the user's drive before installing. Whenever I deploy a new version of CS or CC, I cache down to the end user machine and then create a policy that will install the cached installer via Self Service, or via Logout. I've been using this method for as long as I can remember (Casper 5 had caching, right?), or for as long as Casper has supported caching.

I run a JDS distribution point on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, so SMB/HTTPS, and I've always just taken the package created from CCP and dropped directly into Casper Admin. Granted, I let Casper Admin stay open for at least an hour while the files are copied into place, but I've never had to wrap my Adobe packages in DMGs. I'm just lucky I guess.

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@jmercier I just tested deploying Creative Cloud 2014 using Self Service to a Retina MacBook Pro (Late 2013) and it worked normally. It took 32 minutes over gigabit ethernet but everything seems to have installed normally. I don't have an installer of the current Creative Cloud to try. How much free space is available on one of the machines you are trying to deploy to? My CC pkg file is zipped up on the distribution point so it has to download that file and have enough room to uncompress the file so it can then run the installer. I wonder if you may be running out of space during the process.

Edit: I should have stated specifically that I was using 10.10.5 as the OS. I know when we imaged the iMacs that our graphic artists have it was done under 10.9 so I am not sure your issue is related to the OS.

jmercier
Contributor II

my machines have at least 300-400Gb space left on them... either fusion drives or SSD on mac pro...

could it be because of mavericks VS yosemite Os ?

i will try the caching before and install after solution...

jmercier
Contributor II

very weird... packages gets cached....

then with self service policy trying to install cached package... self service works on something but nothing gets installed...

jmercier
Contributor II

@stevewood

the packages are copied locally but the installed cache not working at all...

im getting really confused here...

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@jmercier are you able to install the package on a test computer by simply double-clicking on the package and leaving Casper and Self Service out of the installation? I'm wondering if there may be something wrong with your installer package.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Migrate your DP so all packages are flattened, should be fine.

--
https://donmontalvo.com

jmercier
Contributor II

@mpermann

i think you pointed out something good...

tried to install manually... and guess what...

i have the message saying : Waiting for other installation to finish....

But i have no other installation running... !!!

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@jmercier What do the log files from the Self Service policy show? Is there anything in the log that shows why it failed? You can also check the /private/var/log/jamf.log and /private/var/log/install.log to see if there are problems there.

I would also try installing manually after caching the package to the machine. You can find the cached files in /Library/Application Support/JAMF/Waiting Room.

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@jmercier if you get that message on a freshly booted computer with nothing running, then there's probably something wrong with your package. You'll probably want to build a new package, test the new package and then upload to Casper to test in Self Service.

jmercier
Contributor II

Same package on other machine worked fine... and tried another after and failed same message...

So there must be something running background

So package is good... its locally on machine that has something running