Adobe CS6 crashing loop.

taugust04
Valued Contributor

Hi all - this is something that has occurred suddenly in the last 48 hours or so have their entire CS6 quit and stop working. All their Adobe CS6 apps are getting stuck in a crashing loop where an application such as Photohop launches, quits, the Adobe Application Manager opens, then crashes, and the cycle is repeated over and over again. It's a really nasty loop, and hard to end without a full restart. Open up a CS6 application, and it starts again.

All the CS6 installs were built with AAMEE 3.1.1 and installed via Casper. No problems until the last 48 hours.

We use RUM - and I'm wondering if Adobe pushed down (and then I pushed down on their behalf) a bad update recently.

I'm also noticing that if I manually open the Adobe Application Manager, it automatically updates itself to version 7.0.0.189, despite having updates turned off. After the update runs, it allows AAM to run as if I had never had the administrative settings configured. Not sure if this is related or unrelated. Losing hair by the second here. Anyone else experiencing these issues?

Thanks!

~Ted

56 REPLIES 56

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

KARL

I ALREADY HAVE SERIAL PKGS CREATED WITH AAMEE3.1

WHY CANT I JUST USE THOSE????

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

**KARL

LET US KNOW WHEN WE CAN REPACKAGE USING AAMEE3.1 WHICH WILL AUTOMATICALLY PULL DOWN THE CORRECT UPDATES AND MAKE WORKING INSTALLERS**

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

Added to AUSST Server.

Shows when manually invoking the Adobe Updater from the top toolbar.

Invoking via RUM doesnt install it or show in the logs

I am unable to open the AAM in (Updater) mode via the command line so i can even add this to self service.

Karl please tell us all how we can invoke the AAM in Updater mode to launch via the command line so we can do this

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

not impressed!

Also not all updates install via RUM!!!

01/22/13 11:09:32:630 | [INFO] | | AAMEE | Utilities | RemoteUpdateManager | | | Starting UpdaterCore DownloadUpdates...
01/22/13 11:09:32:637 | [WARN] | | AAMEE | Utilities | RemoteUpdateManager | | | Update (AdobeDigitalPublishingCS6-2.0/2.05.1.550) is not supported by RemoteUpdateManager. Skipping processing of this update.
01/22/13 11:09:32:637 | [INFO] | | AAMEE | Utilities | RemoteUpdateManager | | | Following Updates are to be downloaded : 01/22/13 11:09:32:637 | [INFO] | | AAMEE | Utilities | RemoteUpdateManager | | | (AdobePhotoshopCS6Support-13.0/13.0.4)
01/22/13 11:09:32:637 | [INFO] | | AAMEE | Utilities | RemoteUpdateManager | | | 01/22/13 11:09:32:637 | [INFO] | | AAMEE | Utilities | RemoteUpdateManager | | | ** Downloading (AdobePhotoshopCS6Support-13.0/13.0.4) ...
01/22/13 11:09:46:842 | [ERROR] | | AAMEE | Utilities | RemoteUpdateManager | | | UpdaterCore failed for DownloadUpdates errorCode(207) curRefId(AdobePhotoshopCS6Support-13.0/13.0.4) errorCodeString(U43M1D207)
01/22/13 11:09:46:842 | [ERROR] | | AAMEE | Utilities | RemoteUpdateManager | | | *
* Failed to download (AdobePhotoshopCS6Support-13.0/13.0.4) ...
01/22/13 11:09:46:842 | [ERROR] | | AAMEE | Utilities | RemoteUpdateManager | | | Some Updates failed to download ...
01/22/13 11:09:46:842 | [INFO] | | AAMEE | Utilities | RemoteUpdateManager | | | **
01/22/13 11:09:46:842 | [INFO] | | AAMEE | Utilities | RemoteUpdateManager | | | Starting UpdaterCore InstallUpdates...
01/22/13 11:09:46:842 | [INFO] | | AAMEE | Utilities | RemoteUpdateManager | | | No new Updates to be installed ...
01/22/13 11:09:46:842 | [INFO] | | AAMEE | Utilities | RemoteUpdateManager | | | *
01/22/13 11:09:46:842 | [INFO] | | AAMEE | Utilities | RemoteUpdateManager | | | Following Updates failed to Download :
01/22/13 11:09:46:842 | [INFO] | | AAMEE | Utilities | RemoteUpdateManager | | | (AdobePhotoshopCS6Support-13.0/13.0.4)
01/22/13 11:09:46:842 | [INFO] | | AAMEE | Utilities | RemoteUpdateManager | | | ****
01/22/13 11:09:46:915 | [INFO] | | AAMEE | Utilities | RemoteUpdateManager | | | ##################################################
01/22/13 11:09:46:915 | [INFO] | | AAMEE | Utilities | RemoteUpdateManager | | | Ending the RemoteUpdateManager Return Code (2)
01/22/13 11:09:46:916 | [INFO] | | AAMEE | Utilities | RemoteUpdateManager | | | ##################################################
01/22/13 11:09:46:916 | [INFO] | | AAMEE | Utilities | RemoteUpdateManager | | | #################################################

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

AAMEE 3.1 should let you update existing PKG and add the update.

This is a real nightmare. :(

--
https://donmontalvo.com

kagibson
New Contributor III

Hi All, Ok so we have been doing more testing and this is the current state of play.

We have tested AUSST and the 13.0.4 update is showing up
We have tested RUM and it is pulling in the 13.0.4 PS patch
We have tested creating update package with AAMEE which includes patch
We have also tested manually adding the patch to AUSST with instructions provided (a little awkward)

If you have affected systems these are the steps you should take

1. Install 13.0.4 patch on client in one of the three methods listed above
  2. Use AAMEE 3.1 to create a serialization file
  3. Deploy Serialization file to the client

This in all our tests resolved the issue on a machine that was affected and we launched the product multiple times with no issue.

We are in the process of testing a serialization file created with AAMEE 3.0 however it is best to use 3.1 if possible.

Please let me know if there is any issues and please rest assured that we will be conducting a post mortem to try and make sure the issue does not occur again and also that our response would be better if we fail on our first promise :-)

Cheers
Karl Gibson | Product Manager | Enerprise IT Tools

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@kagibson wrote:

Please let me know if there is any issues and please rest assured that we will be conducting a post mortem to try and make sure the issue does not occur again and also that our response would be better if we fail on our first promise :-)

Karl,

Thanks for pushing this through to resolution. For what it's worth, I hope the post mortem includes a commitment by Adobe to adhere to Apple Software Delivery Guidelines. I'd hate to see the Mac admin community toss Adobe into the "Cr@ppy Apps" list.

AAMEE is a great workaround, but it really is a big piece of duct tape. It's a step in the right direction. But now it's time for Adobe to slam on the brakes and shift gears - we need installers that adhere to Apple and Microsoft standards (er, respectively). :)

Don

"I ain't gotta apologize for st!" Scott Forstall

--

mscottblake
Valued Contributor
Karl, Thanks for pushing this through to resolution. For what it's worth, I hope the post mortem includes a commitment by Adobe to adhere to Apple Software Delivery Guidelines. I'd hate to see the Mac admin community toss Adobe into the "Cr@ppy Apps" list. AAMEE is a great workaround, but it really is a big piece of duct tape. It's a step in the right direction. But now it's time for Adobe to slam on the brakes and shift gears - we need installers that adhere to Apple and Microsoft standards (er, respectively). :) Don

+1

kagibson
New Contributor III

Don, Indeed and I know where you are coming from. This issue has been tough in that I feel like we may have lost some of the good graces we had earned with the Mac IT admin community as a result of AAMEE and the IT Tools like RUM & AUSST. However hopefully the community will still have a little trust in Myself , Jody and the team. We really try and create the IT tools with the focus firmly on the IT Admin. We will of course continue to do so and I understand and share your desire to move to native installers.

Cheers
Karl Gibson | Product Manager | Enerprise IT Tools

gregneagle
Valued Contributor

Karl writes:

If you have affected systems these are the steps you should take

1. Install 13.0.4 patch on client in one of the three methods listed above
  2. Use AAMEE 3.1 to create a serialization file
  3. Deploy Serialization file to the client

A major problem here is that the Serialization executable/file generated by AAMEE 3.x is not easily deployable. The admin still has to figure out how to get the executable and xml file delivered to each machine and has to come up with some way to actually execute the thing. AAMEE should spit out an Apple Package that does the task.

I wrote a tool to do just that using APTEE:
https://github.com/gregneagle/makereserializationpkg

It would not be hard for AAMEE to do the same thing.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@gregneagle wrote:

A major problem here is that the Serialization executable/file generated by AAMEE 3.x is not easily deployable. The admin still has to figure out how to get the executable and xml file delivered to each machine and has to come up with some way to actually execute the thing. AAMEE should spit out an Apple Package that does the task.

I have to agree, the Platypus solution results in a non-deployable app that someone with admin rights has to double-click on every computer. When you have hundreds or thousands of computers, time/effort/cost goes up very high very fast.

If AAMEE can spit out a zero-touch PKG, we can push out to the target computers.

Else, who foots the bill for all the sneaker-net?

Don

--

carlo_anselmi
Contributor III

Hello, I ended up distributing a folder ("Adobe_Ser_files") containing the ""AdobeSerialization" and "prov.xml" files coming from AAMEE and use a script within a "ongoing" login policy

Like this:

#!/bin/bash
cd /Applications/Adobe_Ser_files
./AdobeSerialization --tool=VolumeSerialize -–provfile=/Applications/Adobe_Ser_files/prov.xml
rm -R /Applications/Adobe_Ser_files

exit 0

The rm deletes everything once the script runs, so that I don't leave serials around :-)
Mind the "." at the beginning of 3rd line, it has to be there.
Here it also works to fix the "loop" with AAM and CS6 apps
Ciao
Carlo

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

More Adobe joy. Lets just hope they don't screw this up!

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=5960

Now back to throwing those darts at my Adobe poster!

mculver
New Contributor

I sure had fun with the loop from the 7th Layer of Hades this Winter. So are you recommending installing the 13.0.4 patch onto the base image for the Summer? Does anyone have a work around with using Config Profiles to disallow the Utilities folder, but still allowing access to the files that CS6 needs in the Utilities?

Thanks!

TheDecline
New Contributor III

Have you guys seen the issue when making the package with the 13.0.4 update? We will be rolling out to CS6 soon and want to make we do not have this issue before we roll out.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Jody/Karl posted on the AAMEE blog that the 13.0.2 patch caused the problem. So as long as your AAMEE package includes all updates you shouldn't have the issue.

http://blogs.adobe.com/oobe/2013/01/32767-days-left-but-whos-counting.html

Don

--