After imaging, Mac volume called "EFI Boot" and no recovery partition?

macjustice
New Contributor II

When I apply a image configuration using Target Disk Mode imaging, I'm finding that it's leaving me with weirded up volumes. I'm trying to do a dual-boot configuration using WinClone, but this is even occuring when I create a Mac-only configuration.

After applying the image, I can reboot cleanly to a Mac partition, and all seems well. But when I reboot and hold option, like to get to the recovery partition, I find that the Mac volume is called "EFI Boot", and no other partitions are found. This happens the same way if I include a WinCloned partition.

I've found that if I run a rEFIt repair, it will reveal a Windows partition if I included one in the image, but the Mac volume is still called "EFI Boot" and still no Recovery partition. The only way to make everything correct is to run rEFIt then use an external Mountain Lion disk and choose the "Reinstall Mountain Lion" option, which leaves me with my desired result, a correctly labeled Mac partition, a Windows one if I've included it, and a Recovery partition.

I'm fairly new to Casper products, so maybe I'm just overlooking something, but I can't find any other behavior like this mentioned on the discussion boards here.

2 REPLIES 2

nessts
Valued Contributor II

when you apply the image does the computer doing the imaging have the same OS as that of what you are deploying? is the computer that is running imaging 10.8 and the target 10.8?
I had a problem last week very similar to that where we compiled a 10.8 image on a 10.7 machine and when we deployed it, it would not boot. not sure if you are compiling your image either.

macjustice
New Contributor II

10.8 across the board. The image, the server, the computer running the imaging client, and the target machine are all running 10.8.

I am generally compiling the image first, as well.

The funny thing is that the computer will boot, so this is semi-cosmetic, but in a way that it makes me concerned about that something is going pretty wrong.