Air Print Across VLANS on iPad OS 17 broken

Malcolm
Contributor II

Air print is no longer working in my environment for air print on iPad OS 17 configured devices, 16 and below still working as expected, our printers set on a seperate vlan, as does our print server, running paper cut with mobility print with dns printer discovery configured. I am yet to reach out to paper cut to see if they are aware of the issue.

9 REPLIES 9

csummerville
New Contributor II

We are experiencing the same thing with our iPadOS 17 testing.  PaperCut MF 22.1 is our current print management system.  We were hoping that 17.1 would address this but, sadly, this is not the case.  Since we are no longer able to prevent the 17.x update beyond 90 days the clock is ticking to get this resolved.  We typically get No AirPrint Printers Found but, at best, the users will see one or two printers that are not in their vicinity.  We have had a couple of instances where the printer list will very slowly discover additional printers (like 15 minutes to find 5-6 printers out of 60 that should be available).  There has to be something on our network/print management config that's blocking this as I and my colleagues have no problem with AirPrint off campus.

PaperCutterAl
New Contributor

Hiya, PaperCutter here. It looks like this has this fixed in the beta version of iOS/iPadOS 17.2, but we don't know when Apple will release that. Hope that helps.

howardellacott
New Contributor

We are still seeing this issue in 17.2 on Shared iPads. For non-shared iPads, I found that resetting all network settings resolved the issue, as far back is 17.0. No idea with Shared iPads! 

Thanks for the update. We have no shared iPads and our testing with 17.2
shows restored AirPrint capability. Let's hope 17.3 doesn't break it again!

andridm
New Contributor II

So for us, 17.2 made the list of printers re-appear, in very seldom cases it fixed printing. In the majority - the selected printer will not stick, and you can't print. In other cases, full wipe/erase on 17.2 restores functionality. 

andridm
New Contributor II

Any updates on this, 17.2 fixed almost nothing for us, except for list appearing again. using papercut as well.

No improvement for us. Mentioned to our rep who said that there would be a future software update for it, but not sure if that is actually coming or not! 

PaperCutBrenda
New Contributor

Hi there Malcom - PaperCutter Brenda here, hoping to help out!

The public release of iOS 17.2 was made available on 12/13 and we confirmed via both internal testing and customer feedback that this release resolves the issue of iOS devices failing to find Mobility Print queues when using the DNS discovery option. https://www.papercut.com/support/known-issues/?id=MOB-2977#mobility

If you are still seeing issues after the update, it would be worth giving the Mobility Print service a quick restart if you haven't already. If that doesn't help please reach out to us at support@papercut.com so we can investigate.

And if the issue seems to be related to AirPrint itself after the move to iOS17, according to this Apple thread, it seems that some people were able to get it working again after a firmware update of the device(s) in question: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255138651?page=1

Let me know if that helps out!

andridm
New Contributor II

so with Ios 17.2 printers are visible, but the selection goes away after clicking on the printer. So it is still doesn't work. We attempted to restart the servers, restart clients, reset, and DFU the ipads. Everything works on older clients or desktop OSX. Also tried switching to host based discovery - same problems.