Airdrop

Quan_nong
Contributor

Hi All

Does anyone know how to actually disable the Airdrop service on OSX Sierra ( I've tried the command "defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser DisableAirDrop -bool YES" ) dont the Mac's are still broadcasting via Airdrop

I've restricted AirDrop using a configuration profile - But this only removes the AirDrop from Finder and not actually disables the service

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

9 REPLIES 9

anverhousseini
Contributor II

Enable AirDrop:

defaults write com.apple.sharingd DiscoverableMode "Everyone"

or

defaults write com.apple.sharingd DiscoverableMode "Contacts Only"

Disable AirDrop:

defaults write com.apple.sharingd DiscoverableMode "Off"

@anverhousseini 

can you clarify how I can add the below within jamf pro?  is this within the configuration profile or is this a script? any help would be helpful! 

defaults write com.apple.sharingd DiscoverableMode "Off"

Quan_nong
Contributor

@anverhousseini Thanks very much, that worked

iradization
New Contributor

Hi @anverhousseini.

does the configuration of discoverableMode in domain com.apple.sharingd you presented in your answer effect merely airdrop , or also other applications that uses sharingd ?

I wish to disable airdrop for security reasons for all the clients in my organizations, but I don't want side effect with other apps that might use this feature..

thanks !

reon
Contributor

Hi @anverhousseini

is there anyway to apply this on iOS devices?

mahughe
Contributor

you can do it through a config profile for both iOS and macOS

kush
New Contributor

Does anyone know how to disable AirDrop from the command line in Mojave? It seems like the com.apple.sharingd plist no longer exists. Thanks

giddycracked
New Contributor

How can one disable AirDrop in Mojave via the command line? It appears that com.apple.sharingd no longer exists.  

x trench run

To disable AirDrop in Mojave via the command line, follow these steps:

1. Open Terminal, located in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder.

2. Type the following command and press Enter:

bashCopy code
sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.smbd.plist

1. Enter your administrator password when prompted.

2. This will stop the sharing of files via SMB, which includes AirDrop.

Note: Keep in mind that this will disable AirDrop for all users on the Mac. To enable it again, simply type the following command into the Terminal and press Enter:

bashCopy code
sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.smbd.plist