Allow users to change wallpapers on phones from only a limited pool of images

MijailBley
New Contributor

Hello everyone,

What I need to do is, as I said, only allow users to change wallpaper (lock & home screen) but only giving them a few choices (branding purposes). Is there a way of doing this either with policies or configuration profiles?

If possible, I'd like to leave out the default Apple wallpapers.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

bwoods
Valued Contributor

Configuration profiles are too restrictive. A CP would force the wallpaper/lock screen. You would need to package and deploy your wallpapers/lock screen  images.

patrickj
New Contributor III

There isn't a built-in way to allow certain images to be used as wallpapers. With iOS and iPadOS you can restrict, or allow changing wallpaper. That is as deep as it gets.

If you want to apply wallpaper to an iOS or iPadOS device you can do so using the Automated Management tab of a Smart Device Group and choose to set it as a Lock, Home or both.

If you really wanted to get fancy you could build an app in Teams, Slack or whatever your company uses to allow users to select wallpaper and move them into that Smart Device Group using the Jamf API while also restricting changing wallpaper. This would effectively do what you ask even if it isn't straightforward. 

Alternatively you could push out the Jamf Setup app and sort of do the same thing where they can choose the wallpaper they would like by changing the Jamf Setup Role and only changing wallpaper instead of the entire configuration. The only downside here is that there is no way to preview the wallpaper inside the Jamf Setup app whereas with a custom app in Teams or Slack or whatever would allow you to do something like that.

Thanks for your answer, Patrick.

So there's no way, for example, of pushing a package into their phones to wherever the background images are saved in and giving them the chance of selecting one? I kinda did that with macOS.

If possible, the problem would be that they may select any other background and not the ones that I intend them to choose from.

Thanks in advance.

Mijail

patrickj
New Contributor III

Unfortunately there is not. Mobile Devices don't support packages. Only configuration profiles, eBooks and Mobile Device Apps.