Alternative location for printer drivers

Jivebunny
New Contributor III

Is it possible to use an alternate location for printer drivers to get round System Integrity Protection, if there is whats the best location.
Reason for this is i have a lpadmin script to install drivers and printers through composer however im running into problems with this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

If you're going to use Composer, you've probably just got to make sure that your .pkg is signed. This is supported by Composer. Just check Composer's Preferences. You will need an Apple Developer Account. That said, I agree with @mpermann you generally should not need to repackage everything. You only really need to get print drivers to users computers (manufacture .pkg should work just fine) and then use an lpadmin command (or larger script) to install your print queues.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

I'm confused, what does SIP have to do with this? I use lpadmin to create printers and just point to wherever the printer drivers were installed by the vendor package.

Jivebunny
New Contributor III

I was under the impression that this area where the printer drivers ate installed is protected. If not then im confused as to why im getting an incompatibility issue with the lpadmin script.

Jivebunny
New Contributor III

Heres the script that is causing sips issues

lpadmin -p Printmono -v SMB://student-print.lboro.ac.uk/student-mono -P /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/RICOH imagio MP C5000.gz -E -o auth-info-required=negotiate -o printer-is-shared=false -o printer-error-policy=retry-current-job -o OptionTray=2Cassette -o ColorModel=Gray

Look
Valued Contributor III

Have you tried disabling SIP to confirm it is actually the issue?
I have been adding printers using scripts since SIP was added and have not had any issues.

Jivebunny
New Contributor III

Yes, ive disabled sip and the script runs fine.

Im begining to think that its not the script but the actual composer package.

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

Where does Composer fit in? My printer deployments consist of a vendor pkg (which I install like any other pkg) and a script that adds the printer with lpadmin. Are you repackaging everything into one pkg?

Jivebunny
New Contributor III

Yes im packaging the drivers in composer and use the script as a post installer.

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

In most cases, @Jivebunny there is no need to repackage printer drivers. You simply upload the vendor provided installer .pkg file and install it. You can use the Files and Processes payload to run the lpadmin command. We use Ricoh and Konica Minolta copiers and I've not had to repackage installer .pkgs from either manufacturer.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

If you're going to use Composer, you've probably just got to make sure that your .pkg is signed. This is supported by Composer. Just check Composer's Preferences. You will need an Apple Developer Account. That said, I agree with @mpermann you generally should not need to repackage everything. You only really need to get print drivers to users computers (manufacture .pkg should work just fine) and then use an lpadmin command (or larger script) to install your print queues.