Apple Classroom for macOS - Scheduling / Privacy Concerns

michaelprice
New Contributor III

We are testing Apple Classroom for macOS to use with our one-to-one program. From our initial testing, it doesn't seem like we can set a schedule for the classes and the instructor is able to view screens of student laptops enrolled in their classes by simply starting the class.

Is there scheduling functionality I'm missing here? Or is it assumed these are cart-based computers that do not leave the classroom?

I'm curious to hear how others are implementing Apple Classroom in a one-to-one environment.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

We're training the teachers to just use the End Class button at the end. There will be a screw up eventually, but none so far this year. The great part, at our school anyway, is unless its in bluetooth range you can't interact with it anyways. It would be pretty odd for a student to stay in the same area or class two hours in a row.

TLDR: As long as they are out of bluetooth range it doesn't matter, teacher can end class and eliminate the potential gaffe.

michaelprice
New Contributor III

@larry_barrett - How do you have it configured to use bluetooth proximity? Is this via iBeacons, or is it built into the Classroom spec somehow? We're in the early stages of testing and still mapping out how it might be deployed.

Thanks!

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

@michaelprice Its baked in. Being in Bluetooth range is one of the prerequisites.

One of the next bits you'll need to do is to make sure your Restrictions Profiles, specifically these three items (on ipads):
Allow Classroom app to lock student devices to an app and lock device screens without prompting (iOS 11 or later, supervised only)
Require teacher permission to leave Classroom unmanaged classes (iOS 11.3 or later, supervised only)
Automatically join Classroom classes without prompting (iOS 11 or later, supervised only)

Macs are a little different, you'll be using a configuration profile that'll look something like this:

f9dc5fc1499e4d209bb11c49863a6d1f

a423fb22a5ee445f8c63ef1ef50bc44e

Make sure you have the Classroom app scoped out to your teachers (usually in Self Service as not everyone is into using it) and make sure you have licenses for each install or else teachers will have to use an Apple ID to download it.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

@michaelprice The Classroom app utilizes the bluetooth built into the devices for discovery. No iBeacons or configuration needed. If you're using ad-hoc classes then the student device should have AirPlay and View Screen set to Always.

If scheduling is an absolute have then I would wait for the release of the jamf Teacher app. Otherwise I would do as @larry_barrett suggested and have your teaching staff use the End Class button.

What privacy concerns do you have with this?

Emmert
Valued Contributor

>What privacy concerns do you have with this?

I'm guessing he doesn't want teachers observing kid's iPads when they're at home, but that's not how it works. As soon as you (a student) walk outside of Bluetooth range, you get dumped out of Classroom.