Apple Configurator and Prestage Enrollment

georgel
New Contributor III

I have added some iPads to DEP using Apple Configurator.

The ipads have been enrolled to the JSS and i can see them when i sign into Apple School Manager.

But when i create a PreStage Enrollement there are no devices in the scope?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

chriscollins
Valued Contributor

So, my guess is that your prestage enrollment entry is assigned to your primary mdm token and the iPads are still in the default mdm server/token it dumps iOS devices added to DEP by Apple Configurator.

But since I can’t see your setup instead of troubleshooting your setup unseen I’ll describe my own basic workflow for this.

In apple configurator the blueprint I use will add the device to DEP but I have it set not enroll the device into MDM.

I apply the blueprint to the devices, they wipe and restore, add to DEP, and then wait at the setup assistant.

I go into Apple Business Manager, I see that the devices are now in the default “Added by apple configurator” or whatever it’s specifically named MDM server/token, grab the device serial numbers, and then re-assign them in ABM to our actual default MDM sever/token that all new iOS devices added directly by vendors are assigned to by default.

When I’m in a hurry I will then go into the DEP section in the JSS settings and force a refresh. The devices then show up under the scoping section for our primary prestage that is set to use the default MDM token.

I then run through the iOS setup assistant to complete enrollment and deploy.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

chriscollins
Valued Contributor

So, my guess is that your prestage enrollment entry is assigned to your primary mdm token and the iPads are still in the default mdm server/token it dumps iOS devices added to DEP by Apple Configurator.

But since I can’t see your setup instead of troubleshooting your setup unseen I’ll describe my own basic workflow for this.

In apple configurator the blueprint I use will add the device to DEP but I have it set not enroll the device into MDM.

I apply the blueprint to the devices, they wipe and restore, add to DEP, and then wait at the setup assistant.

I go into Apple Business Manager, I see that the devices are now in the default “Added by apple configurator” or whatever it’s specifically named MDM server/token, grab the device serial numbers, and then re-assign them in ABM to our actual default MDM sever/token that all new iOS devices added directly by vendors are assigned to by default.

When I’m in a hurry I will then go into the DEP section in the JSS settings and force a refresh. The devices then show up under the scoping section for our primary prestage that is set to use the default MDM token.

I then run through the iOS setup assistant to complete enrollment and deploy.

georgel
New Contributor III

@chriscollins You legend, thank you. Just needed to reassign them to out MDM server.