Apple Managed Apple Id´s - communication

Captainamerica
Contributor II

Wondering how and what communications admin have send out to users before enabling Apple managed ID?

In our company we without doubt have some users who have created an @company.com apple ID, but find it really hard to send out info without it get´s to technical.

So wondering if any has some input what they have done (both good and bad things) on sending out communication to users

So as I understand when enabling managed Apple Id´s, if users do nothing, they and up with a account that will be lost

5 REPLIES 5

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@Captainamerica There is currently no mechanism to restrict the domain used to sign in to an Apple ID, even if you've federated your @company.com domain for Managed Apple IDs (not to be confused with the new capability Apple announced for MAIDs at WWDC23 that will restrict using them on devices that aren't in ABM/ASM).

If you're asking about what happens to a user's Apple ID if they used the @company.com domain and you have Apple federate that domain they will get a notice from Apple that they have a limited amount of time create a new Apple ID if they want to retain any assets purchased under the old ID. Apple will not provide you a list of users who do, or do not, create a new Apple ID.

jcarr
Release Candidate Programs Tester

If a user does nothing, after sixty days, the account is migrated to a temporary username using the @temporary.appleid.com domain.  The account is not "lost."  The user still has the option to log in using the new temporary userid and migrate the personal Apple ID to a personal email address.

For more information, see this support article from Apple.

Captainamerica
Contributor II

Ok thanks for the input.

Overall I was also looking for which information would you as admin send out to users upfront, before enabling Managed Apple Id´s with federation. Just think it can get´s very confusing for users who have no knowledge on this. So Why are we doing this change - what impact will it have - need to find a new email address - what will happen if no action is done etc
Think it is really lot´s of information that users will have problem understanding as there is so much

jcarr
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I think it’s probably sufficient to communicate to your users that they may receive an email from Apple asking them to change the email address associated with their personal Apple ID, and if so, that they should follow the instructions in that email and reach out to AppleCare if they need assistance (since you can not help them with their personal Apple ID). You may also want to include a link to the KB above, and to Apple Support. 

Good luck!

Captainamerica
Contributor II

I doubt actually that many users use the apple id that is created with their company email is for private use. Think most of ours users, actually have created a company apple id, so the split up private with work.

But of course some users can have photo´s etc that is used for comany work, and when switching to managed apple id, the icloud pictures will be lost as I understand.

So if they today have aaa@company.com with photos etc in icloud work related - then they will have to find a new account. But will it be possible to move the content from AAA@company.com to apple id account like - aaa@outlook.com and then afterwards back to AAA@company.com, when it has switched to managed apple id ?