Apple Menu - Shutdown and Restart Missing

Hobbs155
Contributor

In the Apple Menu "Shutdown" and "Restart" have dissapeared. We have not changed anything, if i delete /Library/Managed Preferences then it comes back, it would appear the settings do disable the shutdown in apple menu is in com.apple.loginwindo.plist, which we have a configuration profile which includes a loginwindow payload, so i assume there is something JSS is doing with the plist. Anyone have any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Have you guys read though the release notes for 9.12? It seems this was a defect that was fixed in that version according to what I saw. its listed as D-005329 on page 15 in the release notes PDF.

View solution in original post

42 REPLIES 42

nflny
New Contributor

I had this come up yesterday. I had to create Managed Preference to fix the problem and push it to the Macs that have the problem. I also noticed that under the "Go" menu, the "Connect to Server", "Go to Folder" are missing as well.

mscheffler
New Contributor III

We are seeing the same on some of our clients after upgrading to version 9.

nflny
New Contributor

Another thing I just noticed. The Eject option is not available from the Finder window or when you right click on a disk!!!

Anybody else having this issue?

dmeridith
New Contributor III

I am having this same issue right now

youngmk
New Contributor

The Finder preference is preventing our group of 3000 machines from showing the network share.

nneff
New Contributor

Shutdown button missing for us as well. Was fine on 9.0 but something in 9.1 got rid of it.

mscheffler
New Contributor III

It seems to be getting progressivly worse for us. Started with Shutdown missing from the Apple menu, and then it disappeard from the menu that pops up when using the power button. Now we have to log out to get a Shut Down option. Next the Finder Preferences changed so that Hard Drive, Servers, External drives, and CDs would not show on the Desktop, then the eject commands stopped working. I've found two options for ejecting a disc...
1. Go to System-Library-CoreServices-Menu Extras and double-click Eject.menu to put an eject button in your menu bar.
2. Hold down the trackpad button and/or eject key on a restart to force an eject.

dmeridith
New Contributor III

How do i get the shutdown and restart buttons back

nflny
New Contributor

I created a Managed Pref in the JSS with changes made in the Finder payload.

dmeridith
New Contributor III

what is the finder payload that you changed? Im not seeing one that looks like it would change that

nflny
New Contributor

Sorry, not Finder, LogIn Window. Set the Trust to "False", on the Disable Restart Apple Menu Item and the same for Disable Shutdown Apple Menu Item.

dmeridith
New Contributor III

Thanks

dmeridith
New Contributor III

it does not work i still have no shutdown or restart

nflny
New Contributor

Yes, it requires a reboot.

dmeridith
New Contributor III

even after a restart i still have not shutdown.

Hobbs155
Contributor

i tried the managed preferences and it didnt work for me either. We have our account manager looking into this for us and we are doing some testing with him. Each release breaks something new, each time we look at the realease notes and get excited about the things that get fixed but seems to be getting worse.

dmeridith
New Contributor III

I noticed that it did work it just took multiple reboots

Hobbs155
Contributor

this is not an option for us, when we enable user-level managed preferences for some reason it breaks our smbhome mounts at logon.
We shouldnt be need to fix stuff all the time that was working.

Hobbs155
Contributor

I can confirm a defect has been submitted by our account manager, it has been said that a fix should be forthcoming soon.

youngmk
New Contributor

The way we fixed this was having to recreate the configuration profiles and delete the buggy ones from the machines. We had to remove the login window profile and restrictions. Those 2 profiles affected the way the finder preferences would hide or unhide drives and shares.

So now our new configuration profile is only pushing network settings for one and certificate for another. I did not have any luck trying to unhide the finder preferences using MCX.

Hobbs155
Contributor

We have also removed the login window payload, i have captured the settings and put them in a script this is what i have runing as a policy as a run once per computer just to make sure they all have the login window settings we want.

#! /bin/bash

# Set the .GlobalPreferences plist
defaults write /Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences MultipleSessionEnabled -bool False
defaults write /Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences com.apple.logout.AutoLogOutDelay -int 0

#Set the Login Window Perefences plist
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow LoginwindowText -string "Welcome To <Company/School Name Here>"
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow AdminHostInfo -string "HostName"
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow AdminMayDisableMCX -bool False
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow AlwaysShowWorkgroupDialog -bool False
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow CombineUserWorkgroups -bool True
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow DisableConsoleAccess -bool True
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow EnableExternalAccounts -bool True
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow FlattenUserWorkgroups -bool False
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow HideAdminUsers -bool False
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow HideLocalUsers -bool False
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow HideMobileAccounts -bool False
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow IncludeNetworkUser -bool False
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow LocalUserLoginEnabled -bool True
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow LocalUsersHaveWorkgroups -bool False
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow RestartDisabledWhileLoggedIn -bool False
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow RetriesUntilHint -int 0
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow SHOWFULLNAME -bool True
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow SHOWOTHERUSERS_MANAGED -bool True
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow ShutDownDisabled -bool False
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow RestartDisabled -bool False
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow SleepDisabled -bool False
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow ShutDownDisabledWhileLoggedIn -bool False
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow UseComputerNameForComputerRecordName -bool False
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow com.apple.login.mcx.DisableAutoLoginClient -bool True

# Set the Screensaver plist
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.screensaver loginWindowIdleTime -int 1800
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.screensaver loginWindowModulePath -string "/System/Library/Screen Savers/FloatingMessage.saver"

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

+1 Also saw this issue show up on workstations after upgrading to 9.11. In fact, a number of our config profiles that were pushed via JAMF started acting up once we moved to 9.11. Rebuilding the profiles has helped some, though not others.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Have you guys read though the release notes for 9.12? It seems this was a defect that was fixed in that version according to what I saw. its listed as D-005329 on page 15 in the release notes PDF.

Hobbs155
Contributor

9.12 Update fixes the bug. Thank you JAMF

stlukesgrammar
New Contributor III

9.12 fixed the problem for us too, but funnily enough I had to reboot my two test machines before the shutdown and restart buttons returned! No complaints from any staff yet though - probably shows how often our staff actually reboot their machines... ha!

daz_wallace
Contributor III

I imagine that because it's a system / OS restriction (the availability of restart options etc) it might take one reboot to grab the updated settings and the second to apply them.

Darren

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Yes... for us profiles caused this issue and removing them solved it. I'm glad that 9.12 take care of this because we like our profiles ;-)

sparedes
New Contributor II

We updated straight from 9.11 to 9.2 and it did not solve the issue. If we disable the profile the buttons appears instantly. We really need the profile because it does all of our cache redirection. Any hints?

sparedes
New Contributor II

We ended up manually managing the MCX for that option. Thanks for your help gents.

Hobbs155
Contributor

sparedes i would recommend deleting your configuration profile and recreating it possibly, we re-created all of ours after the upgrade.

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

We're having the same issue and jumped from 9.11 to 9.2 as well. I'd rather not re-create the profile if I don't have to.

sparedes
New Contributor II

We did recreate the profile, we even created two empty profiles one with the shut down button enabled and one disabled. No difference. The only thing that worked for us was to create a managed preference and set in com.apple.loginwindow - RestartDisabledWhileLoggedIn to FALSE and ShutDownDisabledWhileLoggedIn to FALSE.

philwillchen
New Contributor III

I have an open bug: Version 9.1. D-005308

I agree it was fixed in 9.12 but seemed to have came back in 9.2.

sinnottd
New Contributor II

+1 with the same issue. Any help would be appreciated. On 9.2

akurth
New Contributor

We are also having the same problem on 9.2.

spowell01
Contributor

we are missing the shutdown/sleep options as well. All we can do is log off, and then shut down. We also are using a login window config profile

mpebley
New Contributor III

ditto - removed loginwindow Config Profile and setup in MCX for now...

dmeridith
New Contributor III

Only one problem with using mcx instead of config profiles on our end using Casper to push mcx records seems to be breaking our active directory binding

dmeridith
New Contributor III

Using 9.2