Apple TV dropping connection

ItsMe_Sean
Contributor

We have an Apple TV deployment here in an Enterprise environment which consists of about 30 units.

I have started having a few Apple TVs start to drop out quite often. We restrict Bonjour traffic to a bare minimum so it can only broadcast AirPlay traffic over ethernet, everything else is blocked as to avoid flooding our network. They are all supervised by Casper and should all be running the latest OS as auto update is enabled.

Does anyone else have a similar setup and are experiencing issues like this?

At the moment I am going to turning them all off over the weekend so we can fix the naming issues Bonjour has with tagging number onto the end of the Apple TV name.

7 REPLIES 7

plawrence
Contributor II

Hi Sean

Are you using Conference Mode on your Apple TVs? We've seen situations where having Conference Mode enabled was disconnecting AirPlay users, especially when using full screen applications.

ItsMe_Sean
Contributor

Yes, Conference mode is enabled on all of the Apple TVs.
I might end up submitting a bug report to Apple and see what they have to say.

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

are you routing the bonjour traffic across subnets? what are you using for your gateway? do your appletv's have static IPs?

ItsMe_Sean
Contributor

All the traffic is routed across subnets, as the Apple TVs are on their own VLAN dedicated for AV traffic. They are also all assigned a static IP via DHCP. Gateway is a Cisco 3560x.

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

hmm i had trouble with the aerohive AP acting as the gateway between subnets.. went to a ubuntu box with avahi -reflector mode enabled and it seemed to stop the dropouts... still did end up with some name issues though

FastGM3
Contributor

There was an Apple KB Article ackowledging this bug, it use to indicate a fix was to turn off Bluetooth on your devices and on the Apple TV. Also as Patrick suggested turning off Conference mode helped us as well as turning off Bluetooth. That Apple KB Article now just indicates updating to the latest version of OSX. Here's a blurp about the problem on CNET http://www.cnet.com/how-to/turn-off-bluetooth-to-fix-airplay-mirroring-bug-in-os-x/

ItsMe_Sean
Contributor

Posted back in Feb. All of our fleet system that have been using the Apple TVs are running 10.9.3 at this time, although there is still a collection of late 2013 MBP floating about. Hopefully this fix can help out a bit.

I'll be keeping an eye out for the 10.9.4 release notes for this issue. Hopefully Apple can sort this out.