AppleScript prompt after DEP enrollment

tuinte
Contributor III

I've been banging my head against the wall with this one. What I'd like to happen is, after DEP enrollment, and we get to the desktop, an AppleScript dialog pops up asking the user a question. There are a few popups, but for troubleshooting purposes, let's just go with the first one. I understand the underlying issue is calling osascript from root. Hoping fresh eyes might see what's wrong or provide some further insight?

#!/bin/sh

# Wait until user is fully logged in & get user
dockStatus=$(pgrep -x Dock)
until [[ "$dockStatus" != "" ]]; do
    echo "Waiting for login to complete..."
    sleep 2
    dockStatus=$(pgrep -x Dock)
done

LoggedInUser=$(python -c 'from SystemConfiguration import SCDynamicStoreCopyConsoleUser; import sys; username = (SCDynamicStoreCopyConsoleUser(None, None, None) or [None])[0]; username = [username,""][username in [u"loginwindow", None, u""]]; sys.stdout.write(username + "
");' )
LoggedInUserPID=$(ps auxww | grep "/System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow" | grep $LoggedInUser | grep -v "grep" | awk '{print $2}')

# Ask if we want to run Setup now
Setup=$(sudo -u "$LoggedInUser" osascript << EOF
    set theDialogText to "Thank you for enrolling this computer.

Run Setup now to configure your computer. 
"
    display dialog theDialogText with icon file "Macintosh HD:Library:Images:Setup.png" with title "Enrollment Complete" buttons {"Run Setup","Not Now"} default button 1
EOF
)

So I've tried the above, and also using the PID and launchctl:

Setup=$(/bin/launchctl asuser $LoggedInUserPID osascript << EOF

"
    display dialog theDialogText with icon file "Macintosh HD:Library:Images:Setup.png" with title "Enrollment Complete" buttons {"Run Setup","Not Now"} default button 1
EOF
)

Using sudo -u gets me "execution error: No user interaction allowed. (-1713)"

Using launchctl asuser gets me "osascript[5156:34547] -[__NSCFConstantString objectAtIndex:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x7fff8f328590", and a "first throw call stack", ending with "libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException".

Neither prompt the user.

Help?

NOTE: I'm using osascript as opposed to JamfHelper because the second pop-up asks for textbox input.

3 REPLIES 3

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

You've got some things wrong with the second method - using launchctl asuser You need to get the logged in user's UID, not their PID. I also have better luck with using their UID and also instructing the user to run the command with a sudo -iu piece, as shown below.

LoggedInUser=$(python -c 'from SystemConfiguration import SCDynamicStoreCopyConsoleUser; import sys; username = (SCDynamicStoreCopyConsoleUser(None, None, None) or [None])[0]; username = [username,""][username in [u"loginwindow", None, u""]]; sys.stdout.write(username + "
");' )
LoggedInUserUID=$(id -u "$LoggedInUser")

Setup=$(/bin/launchctl asuser $LoggedInUserUID sudo -iu "$LoggedInUser" /usr/bin/osascript << EOF

"
EOF)

Give that a try and see if it helps. Note that you might still run into an issue where a prompt may ask if Jamf should be allowed to access osascript or something to that effect. That can be prevented with a properly crafted PPPC Profile.

tuinte
Contributor III

I just.... feel so sad. Why was I chasing PID? bsexec flashbacks?

Thank you very kindly, working like a charm.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III
bsexec flashbacks?

Perhaps. PID was necessary back when we used to need to use launchctl bsexec, so that might have been why. Anyway, glad it got things working for you.