Application usage - deleting unused applications

xian
New Contributor II

I would like to be able to cut down on licensing costs by tracking which applications are installed but not used. My thought was to create a few smart groups for a few apps that would populate if the app hasn't been launched in 90 days, and then create a policy to uninstall the app for that Smart Group. I'm not sure where to locate the application usage data in order to populate the Smart Group. Has anyone attempted this? Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Hello. This can't exactly be done the way you're describing. What you can do is create a Static Computer Group in your JSS by using the Application Usage section under Logs, but there is no facility to create a Smart Group based on unused software that I know of.

First you may want to create some Licensed Software titles in your JSS as it will be easier to track down the unused ones that way. Then, while in JSS > Logs > Application Usage, change the report starting and end dates to correspond to the 90 day window you mentioned, or whatever you choose.
Run the report (View Usage) next to one of your Licensed Software titles, and click on the "Unused licenses" tab to see the Macs that haven't used it within that timeframe. All the way at the bottom there is a field to create a Static Computer Group from those machines.

Once you've got that group you can scope it to an uninstall policy. Unfortunately, you'll need to go through those steps periodically as I don't see any way to create a Smart Group using the same data.

pditty
New Contributor

I have a very similar need. Has anything changed in version 9.x to allow for something like this.

We have a 1 to 1 of Mac Airs at our HS. I would be nice if the kids who really get into the CS6 products to keep their Adobe Suite after they finish the class that requires it, and the kids who are not that interested and don't use the suite for a few weeks after taking the class, those installs are uninstalled automatically based on usage. Freeing the licenses up for the next group of kids.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

JBartkowiak
New Contributor II

I have a similar need. Has this by chance gotten any better or easier to setup? 

Thanks