Apps and books question.

Krbonus
Contributor

Hello, we're currently using vpp.itunes.apple.com and I'm aware that this would end December 1, 2019.

I'm just preparing all the pieces to migrate to Apps and Books in ASM. Deployment of apps, will it be different?

What we're doing now is, buyer will buy apps in vpp.itunes.apple.com and Jamf admin will add this app in Jamf and would be able to push out to devices specific devices.

Will this be pretty much the same process in Apple school manager via Apps & Books?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Dylan_YYC
Contributor III

We only have the one location, but you can setup different different VPP locations if you so desire then you can assign content to that location if you want. Or just keep it as is with one person and itll work exactly the same.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Dylan_YYC
Contributor III

Its the same process... just a new look and feel basically. We switched when it was still in beta and its been working great ever since. We had to fix some admin accounts i think but it was easy and we were up and running within an afternoon.

Krbonus
Contributor

@Dylan_YYC Thanks for the reply! Do you just have the one purchaser for all locations or do you have individual content manager per location? Just curious.

We just have the 1 person that does all the app purchase and planning on keeping it that way.

Dylan_YYC
Contributor III

We only have the one location, but you can setup different different VPP locations if you so desire then you can assign content to that location if you want. Or just keep it as is with one person and itll work exactly the same.

Krbonus
Contributor

@Dylan_YYC Hi Dylan, I don't mean to revive a few months old thread and to bug you but just have another apps and books question.

If we already have an existing VPP account under global management>VPP accounts, should I be uploading the location based token here from ASM or do I just create a new VPP account and leave the legacy one there?

Thanks

Dylan_YYC
Contributor III

@Krbonus You'll have to make a new VPP account in the JSS. If you overwrite the token anything assigned to that location/VPP account will no longer work. Nice thing is with ASM you can transfer licences between locations if you need to do that.

Krbonus
Contributor

@Dylan_YYC gotcha, will create a new one then... For us it's been really weird. After I sent the invite to our legacy vpp buyer to ASM, he was able to log in and all but somehow the contents tied to the old vpp didn't get transferred over to ASM. I have a ticket with apple education, would you have any ideas about that?

Thanks again.

Dylan_YYC
Contributor III

@Krbonus The only thing i can think of is that user isn't assigned/associated to that location in ASM. When we transferred ours over i had to play around with it a little to get all my admins the ability to see and purchase things on that account. Our old legacy VPP account was able to see everything and that was the account i had to use to make my admin accounts.