Are MAS apps distributable and manageable with casper?

mmcrae
New Contributor

I have been looking over some of the discussions that have already been had around this topic, but i haven't been able to get a clear picture as to if i am able to do what i am trying to do.

There are apps on the mac app store that i wish my users to have access too, however i want them to download and install using self-service and not the mac app store.

Is it possible to obtain the apps (only the free apps, or volume licensed apps, will not be using cracked app) from the app store or other sources and then have it installable from self service.

Secondly.. the updates for these apps.

Ideally i would like these to take place using my managed apple update server (like the OS updates) and not the app store if possible, as the users will not have access to the app store.

is any of this possible, and if so, could i please get a bit of a 'how-to' on this? as i have been searching for the answers to this for days and i need to get this done asap.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

acdesigntech
Contributor II

Yes, download and package as you normally would. Most apps are keyed to the id used to download them, so DO NOT open them before packaging.

Updates: youll have to redownload and repackage the entire app in the case of apple apps (ex final cut pro x), and probably most others. In general app updates are only available through the app store, not sus. So its a very manual process ime.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

acdesigntech
Contributor II

Yes, download and package as you normally would. Most apps are keyed to the id used to download them, so DO NOT open them before packaging.

Updates: youll have to redownload and repackage the entire app in the case of apple apps (ex final cut pro x), and probably most others. In general app updates are only available through the app store, not sus. So its a very manual process ime.

mmcrae
New Contributor

Thanks mate.

got me going and now have figured out exactly what is needed to do the job i want it to do.

Cheers

acdesigntech
Contributor II

I do want to add (I know it's over a year since the last post, but still) that SOME apps can be "de-app-store-ized"© by deleting the _MASReceipt folder in appname.app/Contents/. Then you can apply packaged updates to them. The downside is you have to edit the stupid add bundle to begin with, and you can't manage them through regular software update - but since you couldn't anyway...

The apps I've seen that allow this: Xcode, iPhoto, iMovie. I assume there are others, but I haven't bothered to check since we don't allow other iLife apps in our standard images. I would think that any app that has a downloadable package installer/updater could do this. Unfortunately, Final Cut X does not.