ASM Managed Apple IDs for Students:Print temp passwords ******** Why?

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Hi All,
Has anyone printed the Sign-In Info for Managed Apple IDs from Apple School Manager?
When I look at the records, it shows the Students' Temporary Passwords, but when I choose to print one or 8 per page, it resets the passwords (again), and then turns the temp password into asterisks on the print job, which somewhat makes it pointless to print them.

I feel like this is so ridiculous it must be me....

I also see that despite my csv indicating password policy of 6, it set them all to 8-complex. I changed that, the system reset them again.

8 REPLIES 8

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

I've seen conflicting information on the password options for the CSV. One document said to put "Digit6" and the other said to just use "6". Which were you using?

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

I used 6, as in the template, I believe, it showed a single digit example
Also, from other sources the * password issue was a glitch and is now fixed.
I reset the password rules by school and grade in ASM and then printed the sign-in info right from that window. They printed with the temp password showing, and the temp password was a straight 6 numbers (yippee)
Also it looks like students will be able to set their new password right in iCloud during ipad setup.

gbyers
New Contributor III

This was an issue that Apple had yesterday. We worked with Apple Support and they had the problem fixed later in the afternoon.

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

I did a mass import of students today. ASM did not honor my password setting as I set it to 6 like Sandy did. I received word from Apple that the password requirement is not currently working as intended.

cpdecker
Contributor III

ASM does not honor our password setting of 4 or 6 during imports either, it sets them to 8. I tried quotes with no success. Hopefully fixed soon, but I think we can get around it by just shift+selecting everyone and mass changing their password policy to 4.

Is anyone else getting "Connection Error - Apple School Manager encountered an error while trying to connect to the server" every 30 seconds in the main interface?

Also is anyone else getting "EE.SetupAssistant.FindPeople.SFTPSummary.UnableToConnect - EE.SetupAssistant.FindPeople.SFTPSummary.UnableToConnectAtThisTime" when trying to set up an SFTP connection from Setup Assistant? We have been able to do some test imports but everything broke on Monday afternoon and has stayed broken since. We have a support case open with Apple. First they told us all was fixed--when we told them it wasn't, we were told it would be another two days to hear back from engineering.

If your SFTP connection is working I guess I would recommend not breaking it right now. Not sure if it is just us.

zachishani
New Contributor II
ASM does not honor our password setting of 4 or 6 during imports either

Apple's Official Documentation says they do not support changing of password complexity in the csv files at the moment. What ever value you enter 4/6/8 - it will always use 8.

See:
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT207029

This field isn't currently respected. Apple School Manager assigns students the default password policy of the location they are assigned to. In the future, you will be able to use the password_policy field to specify a password policy for each specific student. This value will override the location password policy and any password policy you have set for that student. If you leave password_policy blank for an existing student, no change will be made.

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

Looks like this is resolved. My students all have the password policy applied now.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207191

zachishani
New Contributor II

yup - I have confirmed with apple as of this week (in the UK) the password policy field is now respected in the csv files.