Auto DMG and enrollment

Andy_McCaskill
Contributor

Hello Everyone,

Recently, I found Auto DMG. Nice little program that turns the OSX installer into a DMG file with updates, I love it. It also has a portion to inject any pkg files to include with the DMG. I attempted to put the QuickAdd.pkg i created with Recon in there to auto enroll during imaging. So far It appears to not work, I still have to add the quickadd.pkg to my payload to get it to enroll the machine. Is there something i'm missing with this? any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

justinrummel
Contributor III

You would need to have a pkg that runs the QuickAdd.pkg on first boot.

- Justin

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

justinrummel
Contributor III

You would need to have a pkg that runs the QuickAdd.pkg on first boot.

- Justin

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

Yeah, you can't install the Quickadd as a sandboxed install onto the DMG, since the postflight script tries to enroll the device (which will definitely fail). At best it will install the jamf binary and then you still need to enroll the system later, once the image is restored to a system and the network is active.

Andy_McCaskill
Contributor

That explains that. Thanks guys!

Also to throw out on this. Odd reason when I create the Quickadd.pkg and upload to Casper Admin, it changes to Quickadd.pkg.zip It doesnt seem to hurt the enrollment but bugs me it does that.

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

I don't believe the QuickAdd.pkg file is a flat package. I think in version 9.x it will zip up non-flat packages for use with the JDS but I am not certain as we are not using JDSes.

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

Sounds like you have a JDS distribution point which has to convert packages into flat files?

Edit: Yes, the Quickadds from Recon are not flat packages, the ones from the Enroll page are.

jpfromdc98
New Contributor III

@immaculateheart, I ran into that issue too. What I did in composer is have the quick add package dump into a folder of my choosing (you can pick anywhere really) in /Library/Application Support/pkgfolder and have a post install script that installs it, then deletes it upon completion. That flat .pkg file can be dumped into Casper Admin and run as a post imaging install. Hasn't failed me yet.

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

i've also seen the zipping occur on SMB distribution points, its fine. It's also beneficial if your using http downloads from your DP as well