Auto Mac Set Name Script fails on Monterey 12.3 and up

bcrockett
Contributor III

Greetings, 

Below is a script I have been using with success on older versions of macOS however, it stopped working on monetary. 

The script pulls the current username from "ls -l /dev/console | cut -d " " -f 4" and automatically sets the ComputerName, HostName, and LocalHostName as the current username. 

Any thoughts on how to get this working again on this version of MacOS? Thanks, ~ B

##### Script 

#!/bin/sh

username=`ls -l /dev/console | cut -d " " -f 4`

scutil --set ComputerName "$4""$username"
scutil --set HostName "$4""$username".<domain>
scutil --set LocalHostName "$4""$username"

jamf recon

###########

Script exit code: 2
Script result: /Library/Application Support/JAMF/tmp/network name auto: line 8: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
/Library/Application Support/JAMF/tmp/network name auto: line 8: `scutil --set HostName "$4""$username".<domain>'
Error running script: return code was 2.
6 REPLIES 6

user-YshbQMtOGr
New Contributor II

Maybe something like this would work?

#!/bin/zsh

user_name=$(scutil <<< "show State:/Users/ConsoleUser" | awk '/Name :/ && ! /loginwindow/ { print $3 }')
/usr/sbin/scutil --set HostName "$user_name".domain
/usr/sbin/scutil --set LocalHostName "$user_name"
/usr/sbin/scutil --set ComputerName "$user_name"

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @bcrockett , I am using this script to rename the client name and it works well:

Expand
#!/bin/sh
macowner=$( echo "show State:/Users/ConsoleUser" | scutil | awk '/Name :/ && ! /loginwindow/ { print $3 }' )
if ! [ $macowner ]; then
echo "cannot detect current user, cannot set clientname" && exit
else echo "settig clientname to MACvon-$macowner" && sudo jamf SetComputerName -name MACvon-$macowner
exit
fi

Thanks, @Anonymous I will try that out. ~B

user-YshbQMtOGr
New Contributor II

Oh @bcrockett, you didn't like my script? I wrote it especially for you 😿

@user-YshbQMtOGr  I tried it and did not see great results. It may be due to the JAMF Pro data tables not being updated after the policy with the script runs and waiting for JAMF recon. However, even with Jamf Recon added to it, there seems to be a noticeable lag. 

user-YshbQMtOGr
New Contributor II

Well thanks for giving it a shot. I thought it would work for sure! Hopefully @Anonymous's script works better.