auto-mount smb network share

jonscott
New Contributor

Hi All,

Just wondering how people handle auto-mounting of smb/cifs network shares. I've looked through the script from the resource kit, which seems straightforward enough, but haven't tried it yet. I could also use ADmitMac's "browser" app, though I'd rather not. I also see the 'mount' option from the jamf binary. I will (possibly) need to auto-mount a share(s) at logon for certain users. I'm curious about what others here are using and how well the methods work. AD credentials are needed for share access.

Thanks,
Jon

2 REPLIES 2

ernstcs
Contributor III

I use the ResourceKit script in policies at login.

Our users are AD users.

For 10.6 it just works. There are some minor issues about stale folders existing in /Volumes if a previous mount failed, which makes the next login fail, so at logout we clean out any folders that may have been created by our policies at login, but nothing more. This is probably NOT the best way to do it because it can be potentially destructive if something was named the same somehow as a valid volume. I'd take suggestions on that.

Craig E

Not applicable

Around here, there are login scripts on the PCs that take care of mounting all the network shares. I wrote a script that converts these VBS scripts to Python, and runs them at login. That way whoever actually wrote those scripts can continue to use and maintain them, while I only have to maintain the conversion process.

I'm still working out some kinks, and it needs more testing, but this system is looking very promising thus far.

Does anyone know how to get ADmitMac to not stall 1-2 minutes when accessing /ADmitMac/<domain>/Users in dscl? The rest of it runs pretty fast...