Auto mounting samba home dirs

meinnit2000
New Contributor

Hi, I've been trying far too long to work out a way of auto mounting users home directories from a linux samba share. The jamf discussions have been great but quite specific. Thought I would go back to basics and ask some very fundamental questions before I waste too much more time on it :)

heres the set up at the moment...

• The login server is linux (cents 6) with ldap and samba authentication - this works, i can login as a network user ok for any user thats in the ldap database
  • all clients are OS X mainly yosemite at the moment but looking to keep up to date.
  • all clients are local, no vpn or outside logins required

my very basic question is this..

Can I use the ldap authentication to allow clients to login on each machine and auto mount their home directory in a way that their environment looks the very similar if not identical on each machine they login to? So their Desktop, Documents, Downloads and even Mailboxes are the same from whatever machine?

A little like the old days of 'nis' but i get the impression everyone steers you away from his now because of security.

If it is possible i guess maybe my ldap or samba set up is not set up very well and I'll need to learn some more.
I realise that maybe switching to a OS X server is prob the answer but I have so much set up on this one I'm reluctant to switch unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks for your advice

0 REPLIES 0