Automate/Script for Building / Department

sinclake
New Contributor II

Looking for a way to use a script, or some other method, to bulk set the Building & Department for IOS devices. I have 440 iPads being delivered in a couple of weeks going to 5 buildings scattered throughout the state. 

Thank you.

Kevin Sinclair

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

talkingmoose

A couple of ideas, but they depend on whether the devices are enrolled prior to setting the information or after.

You can use a mass action to set Building and Department for devices that already exist in your Jamf Pro server. You'll just need a clever way to identify them. Maybe search by IP range or model.

Alternatively (and this will work for not-yet-enrolled as well as enrolled devices), you can take advantage of Settings > Global Management > Inventory Preload. Download the template, populate the serial numbers of the devices and then set the Building.

Be aware that if you use Inventory Preload, the data you provide will overwrite any changes you make to the device records with each inventory update. If you want to be able to make changes later, you'll need to delete the preloaded data to keep it from overwriting.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Sounds like you could use the MUT for this. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mut/id1133234759?mt=12

sinclake
New Contributor II

Unfortunately that app requires a Mac, which I do not have. My organization uses Windows PCs. Thank you for the suggestion though.

talkingmoose

A couple of ideas, but they depend on whether the devices are enrolled prior to setting the information or after.

You can use a mass action to set Building and Department for devices that already exist in your Jamf Pro server. You'll just need a clever way to identify them. Maybe search by IP range or model.

Alternatively (and this will work for not-yet-enrolled as well as enrolled devices), you can take advantage of Settings > Global Management > Inventory Preload. Download the template, populate the serial numbers of the devices and then set the Building.

Be aware that if you use Inventory Preload, the data you provide will overwrite any changes you make to the device records with each inventory update. If you want to be able to make changes later, you'll need to delete the preloaded data to keep it from overwriting.

Thank you for the response, I think I can make either of those solutions work.