Automatic location lookups in inventory via LDAP

spalmer
Contributor III

We have had our JSS server up and running for a few months now with about 150 computers in our Inventory. We have the JSS set up to talk to our AD servers for LDAP lookups. At first I thought this was strictly for granting rights to the JSS, but I found that you can go into the Details for a computer and edit the Location information to do an LDAP lookup by typing in a username and then clicking the little blue search icon.

I then found that there is a related setting at Settings>Inventory Options>Inventory Collection Settings>Location to "Populate the computer location information of a username from an LDAP lookup on inventory update".

The problem is I want to know exactly what this does before enabling it and I can't find a thorough description in the Administrator's Guide or on JAMF Nation. So hopefully somebody can answer my questions below:

1. If there are multiple accounts on a Mac which account is it going to used to look up this info? The first person to log in to the computer? The last one logged in?
  2. In the situation of a shared computer am I going to have to worry about the location information changing every time the inventory update takes place (since it will most likely be a different user every time), or once this information is populated does it stay static during subsequent inventory updates?
  3. Related to the last question, for Lab environments if I manually fill in this info will it retain that or get replaced every time an inventory update runs?
0 REPLIES 0