.bashrc on OS X 10.10. Yosemite

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

Im assisting a scientist in preparing 10 new OS X 10.10.5 Macs for a class that will involve command line programs and scripts.

Since the Darwin “rm” command runs with no breaks the teaching scientist last has, in previous years of instructing this particular course had the students create a ~/.bashrc file and add the alias rm=”rm -i” into it, which worked for previous semesters (using OS X 10.9 Mavericks & OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion in the courses)

This year, 2015 (using OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite) it does not work the same as previous years; the students appear to have to manually source ~/.bashrc to get it to work. He also tried adding “source ~/.bashrc” to their .bash_profile files (after creating the files) and this still does not work.

Any thoughts or observations regarding OS X 10.10's bash environment? Has something changed?

3 REPLIES 3

tnielsen
Valued Contributor

The whole application containment is driving me nuts, I sort of hate it. Possibly related?

htse
Contributor III

I'm unable to replicate the behaviour.

Creating ~/.bashrc and adding source ~/.bashrc to ~/.bash_profile, does process the .bashrc file, and the alias.

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

Looks like it was an error. Smart quotes kicked-in and borked the ~/.bashrc file I think.

My 10.10.5 test machine is working fine.

False alarm perhaps. Ill test more.