Beacons...

Antoine_Moussy
New Contributor III

I tried beacons with the example of JAMF's video (deploy Web Clip).
I tried limitation/exclusion option, nothing works :
- limitation : no Web Clip appears
- exclusion : no Web Clip disappear

Other question : why is it not possible to use Beacons to scope App deployment ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Antoine_Moussy
New Contributor III

d3b033a4486541ed93306f14b705ef5e
It works now. I just forgot to tick "Monitor iBeacons regions" in Mobile Device Management / Inventory Collection.
Thanks to Thomas from Jamf France.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Jalves
Contributor

Which version of the JSS are you running? I just got some estimote beacons and was excited to set them up on my 9.65 JSS only to find out that basically everything is non functional. I emailed my account rep and he confirmed. I listed the defect number below. I am about to start testing on a 9.7 JSS. I'll post again if anything has changed.

D-008318
Currently, limiting a policy based on iBeacon region is not functional.

Antoine_Moussy
New Contributor III

My JSS version is 9.7. I have got Estimote beacons too. And it doesn't work!

Antoine_Moussy
New Contributor III

d3b033a4486541ed93306f14b705ef5e
It works now. I just forgot to tick "Monitor iBeacons regions" in Mobile Device Management / Inventory Collection.
Thanks to Thomas from Jamf France.

mike_paul
Contributor III
Contributor III

As mentioned above, beacons have to be defined within the JSS and the Inventory Collection option listed above should be checked for both OSX and iOS.

Then on the next check-in for computers the list of beacons to watch for is downloaded to a local plist, /Library/Application Support/JAMF/Config/iBeacons/monitoredBeacons.plist, and the /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.jamfsoftware.jamf.daemon.plist is modified to watch for entering or leaving beacon ranges and then tells the JSS that the event happened. If you plan to use it as a trigger for a policy you have to define a custom trigger, 'beaconStateChange'. For profiles it should kick off via APN when the daemon tells the JSS.

On iOS the Self Service app has to be opened after the Beacons are defined so the list is downloaded to the device.

And the above mentioned defect relates to being displayed within Self Service. Leaving a beacon range may take longer than you expect for it to tell the JSS you left but that should work.