Best Way to Deploy Printers

jsommers
New Contributor III

Hi,

Recently, I've been doing some cleanup work with our jamf pro instance and have gotten to printers. We have around 15 Konica Minolta BizHub 554e/754e's that our macs direct print to using LPD. Another admin has one giant AppleScript used to add all applicable printers, but I feel like there has to be a more efficient way. I've played around with Jamf Admin mapping, and it works fine; however, it seems like scripting might be the way to go. Does anyone have any advice or a good script they can share?

Jack Sommers
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

Is there a reason you prefer scripting this over using JAMF to deploy the printers? JAMF Admin/Pro do all the scripting for you when those tools are used. Sure leveraging CUPS directly gives more options, but I usually find letting JAMF Admin handle things to be sufficient. 

View solution in original post

jsommers
New Contributor III

Ended up doing Jamf Admin and didn't have any issues. Thank you!

Jack Sommers

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

cenforce
New Contributor III

Hi,
Instead of a large AppleScript, consider leveraging Bash or Python scripts to handle the printer mapping process more efficiently. You can use Jamf's scripting capabilities to automate the addition of printers, providing a cleaner and more maintainable solution. Utilizing Jamf Pro's scripting feature allows for greater flexibility and control over the printer deployment process, making it easier to manage and update in the future.

jamf man

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

Is there a reason you prefer scripting this over using JAMF to deploy the printers? JAMF Admin/Pro do all the scripting for you when those tools are used. Sure leveraging CUPS directly gives more options, but I usually find letting JAMF Admin handle things to be sufficient. 

jsommers
New Contributor III

Ended up doing Jamf Admin and didn't have any issues. Thank you!

Jack Sommers