Best way to make a JSS exemption group but still inventory?

Matt
Valued Contributor

I am a little frustrated with Casper because you cant make a smart group ignore another smart group. How are people getting around this to make exemption groups? Dummy packages?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

While I'm sure there are a half dozen ways to approach this problem, one way that comes to mind would be to push a dummy pkg or a file of some kind that can be picked up in Inventory (Receipts or an EA) that you would then add into (ALL) your Smart Groups with something like:

Receipts information Packages Installed By Casper | does not have | noTouch.pkg

Or something like that. In that way, all the other criteria should still match machines to what you're looking for, but exclude any that have that pkg installed on them.

This is, admittedly, a pain to need to add this into all your Smart Groups (not to mention remembering to add it to any new Smart Groups) It would be much more handy to have an exclusion list of some kind, similar to how we can have with Restricted Software blocks. I hope we see something like that soon.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

While I'm sure there are a half dozen ways to approach this problem, one way that comes to mind would be to push a dummy pkg or a file of some kind that can be picked up in Inventory (Receipts or an EA) that you would then add into (ALL) your Smart Groups with something like:

Receipts information Packages Installed By Casper | does not have | noTouch.pkg

Or something like that. In that way, all the other criteria should still match machines to what you're looking for, but exclude any that have that pkg installed on them.

This is, admittedly, a pain to need to add this into all your Smart Groups (not to mention remembering to add it to any new Smart Groups) It would be much more handy to have an exclusion list of some kind, similar to how we can have with Restricted Software blocks. I hope we see something like that soon.

Matt
Valued Contributor

I was scared that was the answer. I hope JAMF has plans for this. Managing exemptions is a PITA... and not the bread.