Best way to migrate from old to new Mac without having enrollment issues

tak10
Contributor II

What's the best way to migrate from old to new Mac hardware without causing enrollment issues?

We've always used migration assistance but once the migration assistance completes. You have to manually "re-enroll" the device using jamf enroll -prompt command. This loses Supervision. 

Should I not use the migration assistance and just manually move the User directory only? I wanted to know how are other companies / schools doing this. 

5 REPLIES 5

Hugonaut
Valued Contributor II

So what I've determined in the past was to just get a freshly provisioned/managed machine & move the users directory over, this can cause issues but so does migration assistant, this is the way to do it manually.

However the solutions I push for now when building out environments is to setup the end user machines using NoMad/Jamf Connect to associate with an Idp &  the end user stores all of their files via a cloud storage solution (OneDrive, etc) or an external drive, this way, you can literally pull the old machine, replace it with your blank newly provisioned machine, they login, connect to the cloud storage app or plug the external drive in & they're back to working without skipping a beat.

Virtual MacAdmins Monthly Meetup - First Friday, Every Month

DBrowning
Valued Contributor II

On the same page as @Hugonaut. We block Migration Asst. from running.  Our Security Team also blocks the use of TimeMachine.  So our users only option is put data in OneDrive and pull it back down after setting up the new device.

Samstar777
Contributor II

Recommendation is to keep company data on Cloud Storage. We make sure in our org to keep your associate Data on OneDrive for Business

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

We're using cloud based storage for our staff migration as well. Used a script that zipped up our users home folder 5-6 years ago for another migration but this year it's the users responsibility to back up what needs backed up. If they don't back it up they lose it when the machines are wiped later on this fall. Used migration assistant once or twice for one offs and it's a messy process and that was back in the Yosemite, Sierra years

cpresnall
Contributor

We're in a similar boat with blocking Migration Assistant. Since our devices are ABM enrolled, we ask people to use Druva inSync to restore their backup from the old device after completing the initial setup. For those that do manage to break their enrollments, we have them run jamf removeFramework followed by profiles renew -type enrollment to get back to the managed/supervised status.