Disable macOS from Auto updating

mconners
Valued Contributor

Hello Everyone,

I know there are ways to get into the update tool via system preferences and disable the auto update process from running, but I can't find a definitive solution to do this in a script or some other tool for computers in labs, specifically laptops.

The script I used in the past doesn't seem to be working with Mojave. It really is only a defaults write command for two commands.

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate AutomaticCheckEnabled -bool FALSE

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate AutomaticDownload -bool FALSE

Does anyone have a tried and tested solution that works? Most of our computers are fine, but we have some heavily tweaked physics laptops that we want to keep the same throughout the semester without changing a thing until winter break.

Thank you in advance.

7 REPLIES 7

rhooper
Contributor III

We always used the Files and Processes in the past.

It worked in High Sierra. We have not used it this year though as the default is set to off.

dee6860ba47a4abe8b7fa13463aee2a0

mconners
Valued Contributor

Thank you for this @rhooper this is helpful. Let me ask, in your command, is that a double dash or a single dash?

rhooper
Contributor III

A double

rhooper
Contributor III

@mconnor I just performed the process sudo softwareupdate --schedule off and it worked to disable the search fo rany and all updates in the System Preference > Software Update window. This seems to work for Sierra, High Sierra, and Mojave. Have yer to try it with Catalina.
I did notice that under the users Library/Preferences that there is not much in the area of Software Updates listed in the plist, but there is a com.apple.scheduler.plist.
Just some food for thought.

rhooper
Contributor III

Note: while in the Main Library there is a SoftwareUpdate.plist but using the scripts above changes nothing.
So I may try sudo softwareupdate to make changes... will let you know.

Now to get rid of the little red badge in the upper corner. Does anyone have any clue how to stop this annoying badge?

g_tunca
New Contributor

Hello together,
did anybody know how to disable OS Upgrades, but enable Updates only?
Perfect when we can def. the updates too.

Greetings from Germany

I'd like to know this too. Thanks for any input guys