Big Sur 11.3 update not noticed with RECON

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

I noticed that 11.3 update was released via JAMF email notifications I receive.
Email came in last night 10:58pm Eastern time

The update is not being picked up, RECON is not recognizing that there is an update.

any Big Sur systems don't see it available.

anyone else notice this??????????

Some are seeing 11.3 available while some are not. Maybe just gotta wait a little longer on those others

8 REPLIES 8

junjishimazaki
Valued Contributor

Recon is not to my knowledge used to update a Mac OS. It's just used for inventory updates, not policy updates. Can you please expand what you mean by "The update is not being picked up" Picked up by what? Apple or Jamf? Are you using Jamf's patch management to update Mac OS?

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

after recon the computers inventory in the 'software updates' section was not showing that the 11.3 update was available.

it looks like it's taking time for the 11.3 update to be noticed.

junjishimazaki
Valued Contributor

Does your org manage what OS updates can be available or are you just allowing Apple to control that?

sdamiano
Contributor II

A recon wouldn't let the Mac know that there is an update available. A softwareupdate command, or, checking in system preferences would.

Recon is simply inventory of the machine into Jamf.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

If you run the 'sudo jamf recon' command from terminal you will see that one of the processes is 'locating software updates' , so im assuming this checks to see if the mac has any available macOS updates. If so the computers software updates jamf inventory information will show how many macOS updates are available.

I was just concerned yesterday because some of the big sur computers here were not noticing the new 11. 3 update. I had to run recon a few times on those particular computers for it to finally notice the update was available.

sdamiano
Contributor II

I believe that will only return the number if the computer is already aware that there is a software update. It doesn't trigger the softwareupdate commandline interface itself, iirc.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

Yes i know that it doesn't trigger the macOS software updates to install. It only displays a number of how many updates are available to that computer. 0 if no updates.

I have a policy that installs those updates if they have more than 0 available/pending

dsardaczuk
New Contributor III

Seems like jamf don't know about the latest updates for MacOS
It's not shown in the patch management definitions for Big Sur and Catalina
21ff0eed025c49aca9048f6d7c0be74f