Big Sur Installer: VPP redownload call timed out <MDMClientError:72>

totalyscrewedup
New Contributor III

All my systems are currently on Catalina (10.5.7) and up to date. I tried creating a workflow that will start with prestage and it works like a charm for Microsoft Office products (Outlook, Excel, etc.) but actual macOS Big Sur Installer fails. Licenses aren't an issue, that I've made sure of.

It's so hit and miss, it very hard to pinpoint on where the issue is coming from. This used to be an issue with 10.14 but got solved and now it's back.

Is packaging installer really best way to go about this? I mean, it seems to work for most apps but why macOS is a problem, it's really interesting.

6 REPLIES 6

awoodbury
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

We use the erase-install script which can be used to update, upgrade, or reset a computer. You'll just need to add the appropriate Parameter Values for which process you want to do and the version if you like.

Aaron

https://github.com/grahampugh/erase-install/blob/main/erase-install.sh

totalyscrewedup
New Contributor III

I'm already using the command line to get the installer, so I understand the scripted approach as well.

I was hoping for a more permanent solution to this issue that is tied directly to how Jamf pro is getting licensed software installed on workstations.

@awoodbury 

My current approach uses a script that I have to execute but due to some dependencies with other software, I have to utilize 3 policies, exclusion groups and wait for multiple inventory updates and check-ins just to deploy a simple setup. 

It's convoluted, have to think recursively and hard to train techs to create role based deployment with all these obstacles and time delays in the way

awoodbury
Contributor
Contributor

I have two policies set up in Self Service.

The client facing macOS update Policy allows staff to update at their convenience. It is Scoped to a Smart Group with a macOS range appropriate for the update/upgrade.

Parameter Values for the script:

Parameter 4 = --reinstall

Parameter 5 = --version=11.x.x

The Reset Policy is Scoped as Ongoing with a Limitation for LDAP that only allows Techs to erase and install macOS.

Parameter Values for the script:

Parameter 4 = --erase

Parameter 5 = --version=11.x.x

Maybe someone else can chime in with other options...

Aaron

totalyscrewedup
New Contributor III

Still doesn't explain the issue.

However,

I understand having a system that can be modified but since Apple makes these ad-hoc changes, a simple oneliner will do:

softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 11.6

IamGroot
New Contributor III

This is an error we see a lot with VPP as well, especially with larger files like Xcode and macOS installers. At the time I narrowed it down so a specific error which involved Apple basically throttling us because we were sending to many requests for VPP at once.

I have also see this caused by SSL Inspection being performed between the Jamf server and Apple. If that's a possibility, I'd suggest looking into that.

In your VPP logs, do you see a specific error associated with the request? If so, you could try to match it to https://developer.apple.com/documentation/devicemanagement/app_and_book_management/app_and_book_mana.... The one I see most often with larger downloads is error code 9646.

kavila
New Contributor III

Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone. I too am having this same issue.