Block Mac OS Sonoma

JamfAdmin2
New Contributor II

Hello I am attempting to block the Mac OS Sonoma BETA my boss advised me that my restricted profiles i created are wrong i will post a picture of what i have done so far when i scope the restricted software to my test mac machine it always installs and downloads the sonoma beta not sure what i am doing wrong 

Screenshot 2023-09-20 at 11.16.09 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-20 at 11.16.19 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-20 at 11.16.29 AM.png

9 REPLIES 9

dsavageED
Contributor III

Use a wild card gor the process name: Install macOS Sonoma*.app

Untick restrict exact process.

ok thank you for this and once i put in Install macOS Sonoma*.app and try to download the sonoma beta it will kill the process correct? 

dsavageED
Contributor III

It won't prevent the download, it will kill the app if you try and run it...

it did not work i was able to install the sonoma beta i am installing it when i go to settings and i put in my apple id and click on check for updates 

JamfAdmin2_0-1695314339732.png

dsavageED
Contributor III

Then the beta process isn't running under the traditional name... You will need to open Activity Monitor to find the name of the actual process...

JamfAdmin2
New Contributor II

were you able to find it on your end? 

ImAMacGuy
Valued Contributor II

block InstallAssistant, that's what the last several OS"s have used.  That way it's blocking the process itself, so if they change the file name it will still catch the process name (which can't be changed)

i did that and was still able to download the sonoma beta ):

JamfAdmin2_0-1695400579350.png

ImAMacGuy
Valued Contributor II

you can download it, yes, but you can't run it.  I don't think you can block the actual download at jamf/device level, that would be blocking at the company firewall/proxy - but even that if the users take it home they would be able to download from their home internet.