Blocking Desktop Apps

lpadmin
Contributor

Hello All, I am seeking some help with an issue I am having of students installing their own apps and running them from the Desktop or Downloads folder. I have found in the Configuration Profiles that there is a way to restrict were apps can open from. I set it to block the following
/Desktop
/Downloads
I set it to allow the following /Applications
/Library
/System/Library

For the most part this worked well except for Google Chrome I kept getting two alerts one about ksfetch process and the other about a google helper. I found the following thread and used the script and it did not stop ksfetch alerts from popping up.
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=9033

So I was wondering if any one else has had this same issue and found a fix since the 2013 thread. Any help would be much appreciated.

1 REPLY 1

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

I don't have a specific fix, but just wanted to share that at my last employment they used to block apps as well like you are trying to do. However too many developers nowadays are just creating installers that execute and update from within the user's account. They have updaters in ~/Library/ or elsewhere. So just be prepared to do this for other apps as well that behave similarly that you may have to support.