Application Usage Logs not updating ?

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

not sure if this is a problem or not, or a huge concern, but I have an enrolled computer that is checking in but the Application Usage Logs has not updated, it is still at 2/10/2015. Computer has been used from 9am-5pm each day, turned off at 5pm. Should this be a concern?

Last Inventory Update:02/10/2015 at 9:57 AM
Last Check-in:19 minutes ago
jamf binary Version:9.51
Last Enrollment:02/09/2015 at 4:31 PM
MDM Capability:Yes

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

The Application Usage will only get updated in the Mac's record when it submits inventory. The usage gets stored throughout the day into a plist or xml file (can't remember which at the moment) When it submits inventory it will suck that file up into the computer's record and update the usage data.

Since it looks like the Mac hasn't submitted new inventory since 2/10/2015, that's why the Application Usage is still from 2/10/2015. Make the Mac submit inventory and that should get updated as well.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

mm2270

The Application Usage will only get updated in the Mac's record when it submits inventory. The usage gets stored throughout the day into a plist or xml file (can't remember which at the moment) When it submits inventory it will suck that file up into the computer's record and update the usage data.

Since it looks like the Mac hasn't submitted new inventory since 2/10/2015, that's why the Application Usage is still from 2/10/2015. Make the Mac submit inventory and that should get updated as well.

navek
New Contributor III

I second this question. My desktop
Application Usage logs show:

Feb 8th Locked for the day. This is Sunday which is fine i was not working this weekend.
The next entry is for Feb 12th which is a very busy day of Multiple apps used through out the day.

Now I know I have worked everyday this week. I do not reboot my machine very often but I know I did on the 12th.
What happened to the missing days App usage? Where did it go? There are not even listed. It jumps from the 8th to the 12th.

Casper 9.61
jamf binary Version: 9.61 Desktop os 10.10.1

This is happening to multiple machines across my campus. These machines are different hardware types and OS levels.

Anyone else seeing this?

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

I have 2 Application Usage Log entries 2/9/2015 (day it was enrolled) and 2/10/2015.

Not sure what JSS administrator has set the inventory update interval for, but I asked and am waiting for response.

Isn't it normal to have inventory checked 1 time a week?

mm2270

It all depends on the environment. Some places, especially ones with a large number of enrolled devices, may choose to only collect inventory once a week to keep the amount of database writes to a minimum. Others may do it once a day.

We have ours set to once a day and we have ~8000 Macs enrolled and counting.
If your JSS admin has set it to only once a week, then it would explain why it hasn't submitted any new inventory since the 10th.