Boot Drive Available showing "0"

roeland_de_wind
New Contributor II

In preparation of distributing a large package (mcaOS Catalina installer), I created a smart group with at least x GB available on boot drive. This is explained in a webinar and this article, at the bottom.

I was surprised to not see my own Mac in the smart group. Upon checking, I found that in the Inventory, my Mac was listed with "0" Boot Drive Available. This is however not the case.

In the attached image, I also list 2 Extension Attributes, listing free space in GB. They are defined as follows:

Free Disk GB

#!/bin/bash
FreeSpace=$(diskutil info /Volumes/Macintosh HD | awk -F'[()]' '/Free Space|Available Space/ {print $2}' | sed -e 's/ Bytes//')
GigaByte=$((1024 * 1024 * 1024))
FreeGB=$(( FreeSpace / GigaByte ))
echo "<result>"$FreeGB"</result>"

BootFree

#!/bin/bash
BootFree=`diskutil info /|grep "Free Space"|awk '{print $4}'`
echo "<result>"${BootFree%.*}"</result>"

Question is why the built-in Boot Drive Available metric shows 0, causing the smart group population to fail... and how to solve it so it displays correctly.

aa43bed93d854f9387e26a226fa68e5c

4 REPLIES 4

shaquir
Contributor III

Hi @roeland.de.windt ,
If you can confirm that Boot Drive Free is selected from the Storage option in your search (as opposed to the Extension Attribute section:

a01ea46f42c3449f8784e16f93c53dcc

I'd guess the "0" reporting is a bug. While I'm not seeing what your reporting as a current known issue, I'd check your Jamf Pro versioning and reach out to Jamf support directly.

hodgesji
Contributor

Seeing the same thing here in my JamfCloud environment.

peternbevan
New Contributor III

Out of our cohort of about 1100 machines I'm seeing the built-in Boot Drive Available RAM as blank for about 270 machines, all of which are correctly reporting a Boot Drive Percentage Full. This is also messing up out eligibility criteria for macOS upgrades.

bstewart
New Contributor

I am also seeing this. In a report of 137 eligible machines for upgrades (requiring 20 GB space) I see 75 blank for Boot Drive Available MB. I can't reliably deploy to these machines. I can't see a pattern to OS, or hardware that is causing this. Running Jamf Pro 10.26.0