Boot Loop after update

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

Hey all,
Just wanted to check if anyone was seeing looping restarts after attempting upgrade from 10.15-13.6

We use firmware passwords and I figured this was part of the issue, so ive since removed them, however i have about 5-10 that attempted the update themselves, and now are caught in this rebooting loop. Ive reinstalled 13.6 on them from both the recovery and from a boot usb drive as well as internet recovery...with the same result. Im attempting to now try to move one to sonoma to see if that resolves it.

Ive done PRAM resets...pmu resets, i did a revive from configurator. Ive done everything except wipe them fully...which i guess is the next step.

Ive also done safe booting with shift held down. Not sure what the cause is, but it's really annoying.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools
1 REPLY 1

VS
New Contributor II

We have a ticket about that with Apple, and I also seen other admins reporting the same issues in macadmins slack. The only solution for macs with apple silicon is to revive the machine using Apple Configurator. I think pretty much the same is for Intel devices, assuming that you also not able to boot into recovery/internet recovery.