Building a NetBoot image?

znilsson
Contributor II

Hey all;

I'm attempting to build a NetBoot image for Casper, for use with OS X Server. I got OS X Server set up, and I'm attempting to build a clean NetBoot image that will allow me to boot Mac clients and run Casper Imaging. I ran through the instructions here, I built a minimal base OS, I used Composer to create a .dmg, and I used Casper NetInstall Image Creator to create the .nbi and load it into the correct folder and make it the default boot image, etc. The issue is that when I do it that way Mac clients will not boot from the network.

If I use System Image Utility to create a NetBoot .nbi folder based on the El Captain installer, it works to boot Macs from the network. Then the issue is that it's a full OS and isn't customized for Casper at all, doesn't have Casper Imaging on it, etc.

Is the issue possibly that Casper NetInstall Image Creator is out of date or incompatible? Looks like it hasn't been updated in a while. I'm setting this up for other techs to use to image new Macs that come in, so I'd like to make it as streamlined as possible, auto-launching Casper Imaging, and pulling the image data from my pre-stage image config in the JSS. Anybody have any idea why my base image/Composer/CasperNetInstall Image Creator NetBoot image isn't working to netboot Macs?

JSS 9.82, OS X Server 5.0.15 running on 10.11.3. Server is a Mac Mini (Late 2014) on Ethernet. Test netboot client is a MacBook Air w/thunderbolt ethernet, on 10.11.2

NetBooting in verbose mode on the client shows this:

Casper-NB-BaseImage.local.com.apple.xpc.launchd(1) (com.apple.security.275) <notice> Service exited due to signal: Abort trap: 6

fInterFaceSnapshots is missing
Setting BTCoex mode:7
Got incomplete channel sequence length 8, should be 16
Got incomplete channel sequence length 8, should be 16
en4::1080211Interface:postMessage bssid changed

And that's where it stops. This Macbook Air client w/thunderbolt adapter can netboot fine if OS X Server is running a netboot .nbi created by System Image Utility, it only has issues when I try to use my minimal base OS Composer CasperNetInstall Image Creator .nbi.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@znilsson I'd go the easier route and use AutoCasperNBI from @bentoms:

AutoCasperNBI

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@znilsson I'd go the easier route and use AutoCasperNBI from @bentoms:

AutoCasperNBI

znilsson
Contributor II

@stevewood Looks like redoing it with AutoCasperNBI fixed my issues. I guess the right tool makes all the difference, huh?

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@znilsson Glad it worked. :)

AutoCasperNBI, basically uses the same method to create an NBI as SIU.

The main difference is that the NBI is customised for Casper.

The difference between ACNBI & CNIC is that ACNBI creates a NetBoot image, which is more like a full OS.

CNIC creates a NetInstall image, which is more like a recovery OS.