Bypass Proxy Settings -Newbie

nstauffer
New Contributor

We are a high school running 10.8.5 on about 800 macairs. We have a configuration profile setup with a payload for Network. Wifi, SSID password, Proxy Setup "Manual", Proxy server "proxy.XXXX.XX", port 8080, authentication and password are blank since it is going to pull from the user login. Security type and password are entered.

The problem is that using this wiped out the *.local, 169.254/16 that was in the Bypass proxy settings for these Hosts & Domains, thus Airdrop no longer works. If I manual put that info in the student's box it allows airdrop to work, but I cannot possibly do that for 800 machines. Is there a way I can write a policy to have that put into the exceptions box?

6 REPLIES 6

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Take a look at the man page in Terminal for "networksetup". ( man networksetup ) Although I've not had to do it myself, I'm pretty certain there's an option in there to programmatically enter those settings. I think the "-setproxybypassdomains" may be what you're looking for.

Millertime
New Contributor III

You said it, Mike. I've done that same thing for my environment.

nstauffer
New Contributor

I'm sorry, main page where?

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Not main page, man page, its short for "manual".
Open the Terminal application and type in:

man networksetup

and hit Return

For a somewhat nicer look at man pages, type in networksetup in Terminal, highlight the whole term, right click on it and you should see a "Open man Page" as the first item in the list. Choose that and it opens a separate yellow backgrounded window that you can scroll easier through, even search against with Command-F.

nessts
Valued Contributor II

or for those that dont understand how to use a terminal this may be better
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man8/networksetup.8.html