Can I Pre Enroll iMacs ???

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

Can I pre-enroll iMacs, add these per-enrolled iMacs to a static group? if so how ?

I have a policy that I want to run that is 'triggered' by 'enrollment', the 'scope' for this policy will be this static group?

(the policy installs a network printer)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kitzy
Contributor III

Hi @tcandela,

I've done something similar in imaging workflows, although rather than calling the policy by it's ID, I prefer to assign the policy a custom trigger (you can call this anything you want, like 'printer') and then call it in my script like this.

jam policy -event printer

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

It just popped in my mind to do this;

this is for a computer lab; that uses a standard and smart configuration, I will stick an additional script in the smart configuration

I will create a simple script that runs at reboot calling the policy

jamf policy -id *

has anyone tried or is doing such a thing?

kitzy
Contributor III

Hi @tcandela,

I've done something similar in imaging workflows, although rather than calling the policy by it's ID, I prefer to assign the policy a custom trigger (you can call this anything you want, like 'printer') and then call it in my script like this.

jam policy -event printer

Hope that helps!

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@kitzy i've used custom triggers on other policies, my syntax is

jamf policy -trigger mytriggername

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

q

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@kitzy using a custom trigger or jamf policy -id * does a scope need to be set to specific computers?

if the configuration is telling it to install, then it shouldn't need a scope ? it does what the config is set to do?

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@tcandela you'll still need to scope to something. The beauty of a policy that uses only a custom trigger is that you could conceivably scope to everything since the only way the job gets called is by trigger.

However, you could scope to a Smart Group and assign these machines based on some criteria.

Joel_Peasley
Contributor
Contributor

@tcandela jamf policy -trigger was the verbiage used in in older JAMF Binaries. While jamf policy -trigger still works I would recommend using jamf policy -event moving forward. If you do a jamf help policy that will show the current options.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@stevewood understood, thanks

@Joel.Peasley Thanks, I'll make the syntax change to -event