Can I stop apps being installed to PreStage Groups, and have them download apps via self service?

Beebopp
New Contributor

Hi All, I am fairly new to Jamf Pro, and I am facing an issue that I am trying to find a solution for.

In our organisation, we have approximately 600+ iPads, enrolled in 5 PreStage Enrollment groups, and each group will have anywhere from 30-90apps being pushed to the iPads automatically once they are enrolled. Each group has been assigned a different range of apps to suit the users in their respective groups.

As you can imagine, that is a TON of data trying to be pushed through on our network, and we find that if we are resetting any more than 5-10 iPads at a time, it is completely bombing our network.

My question. Is it possible to set up self service, to show only the apps that, currently, are being pushed out automatically to the PreStage Enrollment Groups, to not install automatically, and just have the user download the apps they require when they need them,? rather than pushing every single app to the device automatically, where half of the apps might not even get used....This would seem to be much more efficient when it comes to setting up many iPads at once.

2 REPLIES 2

Eric_SD_Wrkr
New Contributor III

I think you answered your own question. You can change your app distribution method from Install Automatically to Make Available in Self Service on the Mobile Device App's page in Jamf Pro. Make sure to turn on the self service webclip to install automatically. Then when your devices enroll Self Service will just pop up for them. I've generally used a half and half approach. Have core apps install automatically and then put the less used apps in self service. https://docs.jamf.com/10.42.0/jamf-pro/documentation/Self_Service_Web_Clip.html#ID-00013443

Thanks for the reply Eric!

I will try out this method and hopefully it helps!