Can Not Correctly Add AirPrint Printers to macOS via Jamf Pro - Please Help

jamfpigeon
New Contributor III

Is there no way to correctly add AirPrint printers with Jamf Pro?  I see that it's exceedingly easy with Jamf School, which we don't have (despite being a school.)  It's also exceedingly easy with iOS devices. But for some reason it appears to be impossible for macOS via Jamf Pro.

I keep revisiting this over the years, and there's never been any updates.

I'm paranoid because LPD is being deprecated and will disappear at some point soon, even though it's been years since the ominous warning showed up.

I know that adding it via Terminal technically works, but it always has a generic printer icon.  I don't want it to technically work.  I would like the printers to have the correct icons associated with the printer name as a visual cue for the students.

Am I missing something?  Or is this still not fully implemented for Jam Pro for the past who-knows-how-many-years?

2 REPLIES 2

mschlosser
Contributor II

It's been awhile since I had to add printers via jamf, but I was able to get the correct drivers and printer icons via the following method with jamf pro:

-Create a proper install package for the drivers; whether that be through custom built driver packages with composer or a pre built download package with jamf. Remember to capture both the driver binaries and the PPD files; if necessary. Upload the package to jamf cloud.

-Define the printers on one local machine. After the printers are configured, enable the cups interface, browse to 127.0.0.1:631, use the CUPS interface to obtain the cups device uri and the correct path to the PPD.

-Use the information obtained from cups to define the printer with jamf. pro

-Finally build a policy that first installs the driver and ppd and then maps the printer using the definition you built earlier. The jam printer manager may make this easier, I haven't played with it yet. https://github.com/jamf/jamf-printer-manager

that said the above process works every time and is not that bad after you get used to it. Thank god for the cups web interface. hope that helps.

I am still upset that Jamf removed Jamf Admin. Wasn't a perfect app, but it worked well. Was very good with printers. Printers captured and added to Jamf Pro worked nearly every time. Now, I can add a printer via the website multiple times (each time the same exact way) and usually one will work... I just have to keep trying and one will eventually work. I just saw the new Print Manager...I hope to try it out tomorrow.