Can't change computer name at JAMF

AGE1NTS
New Contributor

Ever since I updated our organization's JAMF cloud server to ver. 11.3 last week, our team can't change the hostname of our client Mac devices. Though I still can type within the textbox to attempt the changes. However, the save button does nothing other than redirecting me back to the General Tab

Prior to the update (i.e. on  ver. 11.2), we have no problems changing the hostnames of our client Mac devices and the changes takes effect in an instant. 

Hostname change 1.gifHostname change 2.gif

I've also confirmed that our Policy for Computer Names is enabled at Maintenance > Reset Computer Names

At this point I'm not sure whether the issue is on our JAMF cloud server, or whether there is a bug on the latest version that I'm not aware of. Appreciated for any inputs.

15 REPLIES 15

Nicholas185
New Contributor

@AGE1NTSQuality ball sports gear wrote:

Ever since I updated our organization's JAMF cloud server to ver. 11.3 last week, our team can't change the hostname of our client Mac devices. Though I still can type within the textbox to attempt the changes. However, the save button does nothing other than redirecting me back to the General Tab

Prior to the update (i.e. on  ver. 11.2), we have no problems changing the hostnames of our client Mac devices and the changes takes effect in an instant. 

Hostname change 1.gifHostname change 2.gif

I've also confirmed that our Policy for Computer Names is enabled at Maintenance > Reset Computer Names

At this point I'm not sure whether the issue is on our JAMF cloud server, or whether there is a bug on the latest version that I'm not aware of. Appreciated for any inputs.

Since updating our organization's JAMF cloud server to version 11.3 last week, our team has encountered an issue with changing the hostname of client Mac devices. Although I can still enter text in the hostname textbox, clicking the save button has become ineffective, only redirecting me back to the General Tab. Before the update (version 11.2), we experienced no difficulties changing hostnames, and the changes were immediately effective.

We got the same issue here.

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

Generally, you want to change the name of the device with a policy that contains a script payload. For your issue with the Jamf Console, I recommend checking permissions. If permissions are fine, make sure the issue is not isolated to this single inventory record, if it's not reach out to Jamf as something could be wrong with your database.

This is what I use.

#!/usr/bin/env bash
#*=============================================================================
#* Script Name: 
#* Created: 
#* Author: 
#* Purpose: Requests input and renames computer based on Naming Convention 2301

#* GLOBAL VARIABLES
DIV1='echo ####################################################################'
DIV2='echo --------------------------------------------------------------------'
DIV3='echo ....................................................................'
ActiveUser=`/bin/ls -l /dev/console | /usr/bin/awk '{ print $3 }' | tr "[a-z]" "[A-Z]"`
ActiveUserRealName=`dscl . -read /Users/$ActiveUser | grep RealName: | cut -c11-`
    if [[ -z $ActiveUserRealName ]]; then
        ActiveUserRealName=`dscl . -read /Users/$ActiveUser | awk '/^RealName:/,/^RecordName:/' | sed -n 2p | cut -c 2-`
    fi
computerName=$(scutil --get ComputerName)
hostName=$(scutil --get HostName)
localHost=$(scutil --get LocalHostName)
serialNumber=$(system_profiler SPHardwareDataType | awk '/Serial/ {print $4}')
serialNumberII=$(system_profiler SPHardwareDataType | awk '/Serial/ {print $4}' | tr -d '"')
#* FUNCTIONS
userInfo () {
    echo; $DIV1
    echo "User Information:"
    if [[ "$ActiveUserRealName" == "$ActiveUser" ]]; then
        echo  "$ActiveUserRealName (Local Admin)"
    else 
        echo "$ActiveUserRealName ($ActiveUser)"
    fi
    $DIV1
}
#* SCRIPT BODY
userInfo

## Check & Update Computer Name
if [ "$computerName" == "$serialNumber" ]
then
	echo "Computer name matches serial number, $serialNumber"
else
	echo "Current Computer Name: $computerName"
	echo "Computer Name does not meet standards"
	echo "Changing Computer Name to match Serial Number"
	scutil --set ComputerName "$serialNumber"	
fi; $DIV2

## Check & Update Host Name
if [ "$hostName" == "$serialNumber" ]
then
	echo "Host Name matches serial number, $serialNumber"
else
	echo "Current Host Name: $hostName"
	echo "Host Name does not meet standards"
	echo "Changing Host Name to match Serial Number"
	scutil --set HostName "$serialNumber"

fi; $DIV2

## Check & Update Local Host
if [ "$localHost" == "$serialNumber" ]
then
	echo "Local Host matches serial number, $serialNumber"
else
	echo "Current Local Host: $localHost"
	echo "Local Host does not meet standards"
	echo "Changing Local Host to match Serial Number"
	scutil --set LocalHostName "$serialNumber"

fi; $DIV2

## Final Check
computerNameII=$(scutil --get ComputerName)
hostNameII=$(scutil --get HostName)
localHostII=$(scutil --get LocalHostName)

echo ""
echo "Serial number: $serialNumber"
echo "Computer Name: $computerNameII"
echo "Host Name: $hostNameII"
echo "Local Host: $localHostII"
if [[ "$computerNameII" == "$serialNumber" ]] && [[ "$hostNameII" == "$serialNumber" ]] && [[ "$localHostII" == "$serialNumber" ]] 
then 
	echo "Computer Name satisfies naming standards"
	$DIV1; exit 0
else
	echo "Computer does not meet naming standards"
	echo "More troubleshooting will be necessary."
    $DIV1; exit 1
fi 

## Perform final Recon to update computer name on Jamf
sudo jamf recon
#* END OF SCRIPT

diego_boff
New Contributor

Confirming we also got this issue :(

DavidSpribe
New Contributor II

We have the same issue since 11.3 update. The tricky thing is that one of the admins is able to edit and save the new names, but another admin can't do the same.

Stephanerocher
New Contributor

Same problem here ! 

DavidSpribe
New Contributor II

This problem comes from Jamf Pro 11.3 update and I hope, it will be fixed in 11.4 update

chrisB
Contributor II

I filed a support ticket for that; after sending log files and screenshots I received the following reply:

Overall, It looks like we are having  issues with Jamf Pro users with Group Access inside User Group with Administrator privileges cannot change 'Computer Name' for Computer 

Issues mentioned above have been highlighted in the  Product Issue submitted - If you would like to reference it in the future, please reference PI117013

I’ve gone ahead and attached this case to the Product Issue in order to help increase the issue’s status and priority. We do apologize for the inconvenience this may be causing both you and your end-users. That being said, rest assured our developers are doing their best to help fix these items. Please keep an eye on new releases of Jamf Pro and the release notes which provide insight to the Product Issues the updated versions have addressed and fixed.

DavidSpribe
New Contributor II

I confirm - I have a Group Access with Administrator privileges. My colleague, who has Full Access, does not have a problem with renaming of our computers.

DavidSpribe
New Contributor II

Any news about this issue? Jamf Pro 11.4 will be deployed in about 10 days or so... I could not find any kind of mentioning of this problem in the Release Notes

The best would be if you all file a support ticket and mention issue PI117013 to ensure that this problem is prioritised.

DavidSpribe
New Contributor II

How to find out if the issue PI117013 is going to be fixed in v11.5?

I think this may have been recently fixed. I was on version 11.4.1 last week when I opened a support ticket (and Jamf Support indicated my issue was related to PI117013). I am still on 11.4.1, and as of yesterday, we are no longer seeing the issue.

DavidSpribe
New Contributor II

Just checked and we still have this problem. We are also on version 11.4.1

DavidSpribe
New Contributor II

I found that the server was updated to version 11.4.2 yesterday, but the problem still persists.