Can't Change Privileges on a group in JSS

stephanpeterson
Contributor

I have a group that I created a few months ago and I'm now trying to modify its privileges. I am the JSS administrator and have verified that I'm am in the administrators group. However, all of the privileges for the group I'm attempting to modify are greyed out when I switch to edit mode. I can adjust the membership of the group though, which is curious. If I change the group's Privilege Set from Administrator to Custom, it appears I can then make changes to the privileges. I'd rather start from Administrators, where it's at now and make it custom by removing privileges, as necessary.

I've not seen this behavior before. Our JSS is self-hosted on-prem on Windows 2012r2 and we're still running JSS 9.99.0-t1494340586.

3 REPLIES 3

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@stephanpeterson

What you're seeing is expected behavior.

Pre-defined roles in the JSS, such as Administrator, Auditor, or Enrollment Only, have pre-defined permission sets.

If you wish to make any changes to those pre-defined permission sets in the event that the pre-defined permissions don't meet the requirements you need, you will need to switch to using the Custom role and select (or deselect) the permissions you want for that particular group.

Please feel free to make a Feature Request if you feel this behavior should be different or, if you have additional questions, please contact Support.

Thanks!
Were Wulff
Jamf Customer Experience

stephanpeterson
Contributor

I'm seeing that as I test further. It'd be nice if it stayed as the pre-defined role until you changed something and then it went to Custom. At least that's the behavior I'd expect. Have things changed from v9.99.0 to v10.1.1? Is there a FR I need to vote up? :-)

Thanks,
Stephan

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@stephanpeterson

As far as I'm aware, the behavior has not changed and is still expected to be this way in 10.x.x.

I wasn't able to find a Feature Request that deals specifically with this type of scenario, but please feel free to create one.

Thanks!
Were Wulff
Jamf Customer Experience